What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Introduction to Our Heritage

Explanation of this blog: Another iron in the fire

This is a great introduction. One of my pet peeves, when talking about the Mormon pioneers, is when someone says something like: They were so strong, I just don't think I could go through something like that. . . . or. . . . they had so much more faith than we need to have today. Bah. Which is why I like this sentence from the introduction to Our Heritage: "As we learn more about the faith of those who have gone before us, we can better understand those with whom we have joined hands in bearing witness of the Savior and helping to establish his kingdom."

We are joining hands with those who have gone before us. We have different missions/jobs/purposes, but we're all in it for the same thing. Let's just do a little better than we did yesterday to be better witnesses of Christ.

I was also impressed by how much we rely on the testimony of the prophets and apostles. I'm reminded of the scripture that says something like blessed are those who believe on the words of other (concerning Christ). I have faith that these testimonies are true. I realize that having such faith would make me vulnerable in the eyes of some because I do not have solid proof. But being vulnerable, I think, is part of being humble. And boy am I humble! Ha. Ha. So maintaining faith is maintaining the possibility of being taught, learning something new, admitting that you don't KNOW it all, but you know who does! In my estimation anyway.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite Brigham Young quote is that his biggest fear for the Saints is that they will prosper, get prideful, and kick themselves out of the church. I was struck by the reality of that threat as we finished the Book of Mormon with the people having gone from a perfect Christlike community to total destruction in about 3-4 hundred years. It may seem silly or vain to see prosperity as a challenge but that too is part of the danger of the challenge- it is subtle and hidden. It's like you say- Maintaining faith is maintaining the possibility of being taught.
    It is interesting to see how the church evolves as time goes on too. That evolution can be a test of faith too. I like the reminder of the basic principles that remain consistent through all generations of time.
    I thought this article was interesting about the shades of being a Mormon and how we are all unified in one purpose despite slightly different ways of believing or following.
    http://thelamanite.blogspot.com/2008/12/internet-mormons-chapel-mormons-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link. He clarifies my feelings.

    ReplyDelete