What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Monday, January 12, 2009

Comments for Jan 12 and 13th

Explanation of this blog: Another iron in the fire
Mon, Jan 12th: Amos 8:11–12, D&C 1:14–17 ,Acts 3:20–21, D&C 128:20–21
Tues, Jan 13th: Acts 20:28–30; 2 Thessalonians 2:1–3; 2 Timothy 4:3–4, Mormon 1:13–14

When we read and talk about the apostasy, I am always amazed at how it is part of the plan, the plan of salvation that is. The apostasy is part of the plan of salvation. This reminds me of the concept we learn when Nephi kills Laban: it is better for one man to perish than a whole nation. So, applied to the apostasy, it would be something like: it is better for generations to be in darkness than for people of all times to go without light.

I was impressed that in Amos the Lord says: "Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord." Whether the spiritual famine was a result of the people making choices that lead to apostasy, or the Lord just knew there needed to be a famine, or really a combination of both, I find it oddly comforting that it's part of a plan. I say oddly comforting because it seems that I shouldn't take comfort in a whole generation of people in darkness. Really, the only comforting thing is that it is part of the plan and that those who lived during that time will be judged according to what they knew, just like we are, and if they haven't already received spiritual light, I know they will be given the opportunity (which is really a whole different discussion where family history and gathering names is concerned, because records were not well kept at the time). Perhaps I should be grateful for those who had to live in gospel darkness just like I'm grateful for the pioneers to progress the gospel light.

Yup, I think that is a great thing to be grateful about, those people and the hope that I have for them and me because they set up the time for the restoration of light so that I can have that hope. Kind of a paradigm, or conundrum or something like that.

Just as a side note, I'm always a little amused when the scriptures refer to time passage. Like Acts 20:29 "For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock." I find it a little amusing because when I hear after, I think right after. But after to the Lord means from the time after His death to 1820. One thousand eight hundred twenty years after his death, maybe minus 33. I went through this period of time when I was younger, with fear in my heart that the coming of the Lord was nigh. Plus it seemed to be a popular notion to freak us out by saying something like: if the Lord were to come today would you be ready? If the Lord were to walk into your kitchen what would He think? I was very relieved to realize that the time of the Lord is looooong compared to my reckoning. Not that I don't need to work to have oil in my lamp, but I realize now that the Lord doesn't want me to live in fear, but live in faith (and he really doens't care what my kitchen looks like). I suppose I needed to feel a little of the fear, but just enough to prompt me to feel greater faith. I like living in the greater faith andswering questions like how? and what? and why? Instead of living in the fear of: when? That was a longer side note than intended and may not be completely relevant to the subject, but just a wild thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment