What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Monday, January 5, 2009

Tues, Jan 6th

Explanation of this blog: Another iron in the fire

Readings for Tues, Jan 6th: D&C 88:14–18; 93:33; Alma 11:42–44

I can see the wisdom in using a thematic approach to the DC this year. There are so many topics covered in one section, that it's kind of nice to focus on a topic rather than try to fit in all the topics in a lesson. I discovered today the the Class Member Study Guide readings do not include all the readings in the teacher manual. I'm OK with that if you are!

So the question for this group of scriptures is: What can you learn about the Resurrection from these passages? Here are the Sunday School answers: spirit and body are reunited, prepares us for celestial glory and joy, all people will be resurrected.

Here are my thoughts: When I was younger, I believed that my spirit and soul were the same thing and my body was a seperate thing altogether. I remember when I learned that my soul was the combination of my spirit and body, a light turned on. Aha! To me, this is a beautiful truth and the doctrine of the resurrection makes it pristinely beautiful. I have a greater appreciation and respect for my body (diabetes, large thighs and all) because it is a part of my soul. My body and spirit are to work together to edify each part, now and for eternity.

Digression: this sort of reminds me of a popular (though mean) saying when I was younger. When looking at a person who, shall we say, didn't look like a supermodel, we might say, "he/she is a sweet spirit," trying to make an insult sound good. Thinking about this in regards to the soul (spirit/body combo), it is completely incorrect, not to mention being more shallow than the puddle one raindrop makes. I won't go off on judging other people by their looks, but hopefully the doctrine of the resurrection brings a little more comfort to how we feel about ourselves right now. Our bodies (as imperfect as they may be, which is relative) and our spirits are a great working organism, that when they are separated at death, need the other to get to the place Heavenly Father wants us to be. We have been given spirits, we have been given bodies, we would be ingrateful not to respect both. I am happy to know that there is a purpose for both, which the Savior has provided, both now and after this life. Now I need to do my part in caring for both, because it seems what care benefits one, benefits the other.

5 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. I'm in Primary, and it will urge me to read the Gospel D assignments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it helps! If you know anyone else who feels the same, feel free to share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes- I have been reading, but not according to the schedule. Glad you posted it so I can get on track!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea, I'm kind of glad I started this just because I would have assumed that I needed to just read straight through like others years. I'm glad my SS teacher pointed out that the lessons are thematic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One Christmas I was working in a classroom and they were making some kind of angel project. I don't remember what question was asked but I remember the teacher's reply was that Angels didn't have a gender. It was so bizarre to me that people would think that way about Heaven. For so many, God is amorphous and mysterious and we become genderless beings who do...what?

    I love scriptures like this which reaffirm who we are and our purpose. Our bodies, our genders, are integral to who we are and who we become. We are created in the image of our God and we can become more like Him. So cool!

    ReplyDelete