What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Monday, January 26, 2009

Revelation, Mon, Jan 26th

Explanation of this blog: Another iron in the fire
Mon, Jan 26th: Doctrine and Covenants 6

This section gives some direction as to the necessary atmosphere, purpose and benefits of revelation. It is a revelation given to Oliver Cowdery in beginning to help Joseph translate the plates. After listening to Joseph's family describe the story about the plates Joseph had, Oliver felt strongly that he had a part in translating the plates and in fact (as he told Jospeh after section 6 was given) had a revelation (to which v 22-24 refer).

Here are things that I noticed pertaining to revelation:
Creating atmosphere for revelation: v 5, be prepared to receive and v8 have desire to receive; v 6 keep my commandments, seek to bring forth and establish the cause of Zion; v7 seek not for riches, but for wisdom; v10 excercise your gifts.

Benefits of revelations: v 5 answers with come; v7 "you shall be the means of doing much good in this generation"; v 11 shalt know mysteries which are great adn marvelous (the doctrine of Christ which will bring salvation); v15 mind will be enlightened.

I was finishing up the section, trying to discover truths about revelation, then I read the last verse. And then read it over again. At this time the Lord is addressing both Joseph and Oliver and they see Him: "Behond the wounds which pierced my side, and also the prints of the nails in my hands and feet; be faithful, keep my commandments, and ye shall inherit the kingdom of heaven. Amen." Wow. Talk about revelation. This is interesting to me because, it is less likely that revelation to me will be manifest as in this last verse. However, revelation to me need not be as grandiose (or seemly grandiose to me), because I can be one of those who are blessed because I believe on the testimony of others. As I read that verse, I felt it. Perhaps, not as strong as Joseph and Oliver did in actually experiencing it, but I don't need it to be if I felt the spirit confirm that it really happened (both Joseph's and Oliver's experience and Christ's testament). If I take that feeling, file it in my mind and heart, the mystery of the atonement and the work of the Lord opens up a little more for me. As much as I would like to know everything right now, I can see the wisdom in "line by line, precept by precept." So I suppose that's part of revelation too, being ready to receive it which ever way the Lord wants to send it (I'll post about being receptive to that later), and ready for however much information He wants to give.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa - I'm a slacker. Once the work week hits I lose track of what I truly want to do which is keep up with the DC readings. I appreciate what you are trying to do here. That said, I do have a comment on this chapter.

    In 37 he says, "behold the wounds which pierced my side and also the prints of the nails in my hands and feet." He asks us to keep his commandments so we can inherit what he has for us. I thought, a while back, how blessed I am. I really do have a charmed life with many blessings in many categories. Then it dawned on my that there are probably even more blessings waiting for me and wondered what could I do to access them. Heavenly Father has all these blessings for us but we do things to stop them from coming our way. All he's asking is for us to recognize that he died for us - see the prints - see what he went through, then be obedient. It's pretty simple but we let it get complicated. That's my thought for the day. We'll see if I can stick with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you are a slacker. I think you are busy! Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete