What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Mon, Jan 5th, Section 19 (readings for the week below this post)

Explanation of this blog: Another iron in the fire

January 5th: Section 19 The suggested reading are verses 1-3, 16-20. But I suggest reading the whole section. Keep in mind while you read this section that it is a revelation for Martin Harris 2 years after the lost manuscript incident. He wanted to know what his standing was with God and section 19 is his answer. I suggest reading it as if you were Martin Harris. I believe it is highly applicable, as there are few of us who have not had the need for repentance and maybe put it off a while.

The title of this lesson is "Behold, I Am Jesus Christ, the Savior of the World." I was really blown away reading this through the perspective of what I think Martin Harris must have had. Imagine after two years of anguish over losing pages of manuscript straight from God and having the guts to ask Joseph Smith to see what his standing is with God. Then he gets the MEAT of the gospel of Jesus Christ, from Jesus Christ. Again, this could be viewed as a fire and brimstone kind of lesson. But as I finished all of the section, I thought it seemed more like the Lord trying to convince Martin Harris to stop doubting, just repent (which the DC manual points out as not just stopping sin, but moving on to do better things), "learn of me and listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my spirit; and you shall have peace in me." Certainly a loving rebuke and encouragement.

Applying to the theme of the lesson, I don't think there is a better description of what Jesus Christ did for us than the one He offers Himself. I love in vs 8 that He says "I will explain unto you this mystery" and also vs 10 "For, behold, the myster of godliness, how great it is!" Explains the punishment is endless and eternal (I'm taking punishment to mean teaching), then commands Martin to repent and then explains the mystery of godliness, or perhaps the mystery of godliness includes exacting punishment as well as the act of the atonement.

And this just pricks my heart:
38 Pray always, and I will pour out my Spirit upon you, and great shall be your blessing—yea, even more than if you should obtain treasures of earth and corruptibleness to the extent thereof.
39 Behold, canst thou read this without rejoicing and lifting up thy heart for gladness?
40 Or canst thou run about longer as a blind guide?
41 Or canst thou be humble and meek, and conduct thyself wisely before me? Yea, come unto me thy Savior. Amen.

And then what does he go and do? Good lesson for us all, huh? The DC manual said something about doubting is fine if it leads to learning something better, but if your doubts become your obsession, that is a sin in itself.

If you are interested, here is a quick history of Martin Harris, from the "I Have a Question" portion of the Ensign in 1979 ( you will need to scroll down a bit).

1 comment:

  1. Martin Harris was quite the character, wasn't he? :)

    One of Satan's greatest weapons against us is doubt and especially doubt of our worthiness to be forgiven. If he can convince us to doubt the Savior's Atonement than he wins because as you say it is the Meat of the Gospel.

    Martin Harris reminds me of so many people. On my mission often the best member missionaries were the Less active members because they would bare their testimonies. They may have had a hard time physically living the Gospel but they did not have a hard time sharing what they knew to be true. Maybe it's one of those "do as I say not as I do" kind of things. They were plenty willing to give the right advice but not willing to take it themselves. But as Martin Harris shows us and as he hears from Jesus Christ- there is always hope- "just repent." It's never too late to start. :)

    ReplyDelete