What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Doubt, Tues, Jan 27th

Explanation of this blog: Another iron in the fire
Tues, Jan 27th: DC 8

Anbother list for creating an atmosphere for receiving revelation: ask in faith, with an honest heart; believe that you will receive; do not ask for things you shouldn't ask for (which I think is guided by the spirit); doubt not.
Doubt is an interesting notion, especially when the opposite is faith. I think, more often than not, we tend to think of faith as the kind of faith that will move mountatins. And that even having a little bit of doubt negates any faith that we may have had. It do not think this is true. I think of the man who wanted Jesus to cure his son of a dumb spirit, in Mark 9. The Savior said to him "If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth." Then the reply of the father: "Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief." Was this an admittance of a lack of faith? I think the father admitted to the Lord, his humanity. In essence saying, I believe that the Lord can do all things if it is His will, and then implored the Savior again for help despite his inexperience with the Savior's healing power. So, asking for revelation is asking for something you believe is in tune with the Lord's will, being ready for the answer if it's not or at least not quite the answer you were looking for. We ask in faith, perhaps not knowing that what we will ask for will be received, but having faith in the power of the Savior that is CAN be received, if it is His will.

Answers will come: in your mind and heart by the Spirit. I will post more about receiving answers tomorrow since Oliver receives his answer in sec 9.

Also, one more interesting thing: Joseph and Oliver had not been baptized or received the gift of the Holy Ghost yet. That is one month down the road. Yet the Lord blessed them with the gift of understanding the Holy Ghost.

No comments:

Post a Comment