What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Friday, January 2, 2009

DC Section 1

Explanation of this blog: Another iron in the fire

Wow. Can you say black and white? You know, we make fun of the fire and brinstone preachers sometimes, but as I read this, that's what entered my mind. But then I thought better or that thought and re-read this section using a "teaching voice" delivery and I got more of a I-love-you-so-much-that-I-want-to-prepare-you feeling. But the underlying feeling is: this is serious business. "Who's on the Lord's side, who?" type of deal.

The great thing about this section is it assigns us a purpose. Life is really not "eat, drink and be merry." The Lord tells us that we have a mission, a purpose: to progress (this implies work), and in that progression we will find joy. If we digress we can repent (I find it interesting that it is a direct promise - if you repent, you will be forgiven. End of story.), but you've got to keep trying to progress.

I am going to digress from progress, and talk a bit about what we think we deserve. I'm debating on deleting the word "deserve" from my vocabulary. I think it has gotten me and many people into personal digression. There are small things that we think we deserve, which I suppose it Ok: a dish of ice cream after a long day, for instance. But if you start thinking you deserve it every day, and the portions get bigger and bigger, you find yourself in a bit of digression in other areas of your life. Sometimes I think when we start believing we deserve something the object of our activity becomes on what we deserve not on our activity. Our object needs to be what is gained in the process, not what the process deserves. So, "Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel." Finished with digression, both in this paragraph and hopefully in my life.

This is the golden line for the day: "I the Lord am willing to make these things known unto all flesh."

What did you discover?

2 comments:

  1. So we started class today on the DC and the things that mean something to me are: it's recent - I can wrap my head around something that happened as recent as 180 years or so ago. Not that I don't believe in all the things that happened in the Book of Mormon or Bible times, but I can actually picture the people, clothing, means of transportation, etc. in the DC. What I can't imagine are the feelings - like Joseph with this whole new ball of wax to play with. How odd that must have been to receive revelation and then have to share it with others. I'm sure he was ridiculed but he held strong. Another thing I like is that there is no wishy-washiness in the way the Lord says what he says in the first section. There can be no fence sitting when you read it. If you sin you can be forgiven but if you don't repent the light is taken away (v.32, 33). It's a good wake-up call for a new year, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definately a good wake up call! One that comes over and over again in the DC.

    ReplyDelete