What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Thurs, Jan 8th

Explanation of this blog: Another iron in the fire

Thurs, Jan 8th: Scripture chain about the roles and attributes of the Savior: D&C 6:20–21 D&C 45:3–5 D&C 6:32–37 D&C 50:44 D&C 19:1–3D&C 93:5–19 D&C 29:1–2 D&C 133:42–52 D&C 38:1–3

I've been part of conversations about the relationship of God and Jesus Christ to man, where concern cropped about humanizing both. Man has an innate desire to make Holy Beings more human in order to relate to them, or understand them better, or to take the mystery out of Godhood, so that we really can have all the answers. I can understand the appeal in that. Having all the answers is very appealing, then we don't need anyone else, we are not insecure and vulnerable. Which is precisely why Heavenly Father hasn't given us all the answers. In Monday's readings the Lord told us that He will tell us the mystery of Godhood. Technically, he tells us the components of the mystery, not exactly the mechanics of the components, like how exactly you can go from sinning, guilt and remorse to peace. But I suppose right now, I only need to know the components and the mystery is what keeps me coming back for more (whether I like it or not).


This scripture chain is a great example of the combination of human attributes of Christ, and the Godly attributes of Christ. Or, things we can understand because we're human and we've experienced them vs. things we know only because we've been told and therefore must have faith in. For instance, "I will encircle thee in the arms of my love" vs. "I am the alpha and omega," "who will gather his people even as a hen gathereth her chickens" vs. "all things are present before mine eyes."


These scriptures remind me to strive to know God, but that I don't need to know everything. That Christ is my brother but also part of a Godhead. That I need to seek for His empathy because that's part of the healing and progress, but to honor and respect the mystery of Godhood and be thankful that even though I don't know all the how's, the atonement just works.

No comments:

Post a Comment