What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

DC Introduction

I do not remember ever reading the introduction of the Doctrine and Covenants. I'm glad I read it! Here are a few things that popped out to me:


  • That the DC is mainly directed to the members of The Chruch of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but is also for all mankind so they can "hear the voice of the Lord Jesus Christ speaking to them for their temporal well-being and their everlasting salvation." There are many revelations that I can think of that seem to be common sense goodness, but it will be interesting to read the DC with a non-LDS perspective in mind.

  • This is the only book of scripture that is not a translation.

  • I enjoyed the list of fundamental doctrines in paragraph 8.

  • The last line in the introduction reads that we should "understand and rejoice in the messages of the Lord." I thought about some of the messages. Some are very loving, but it seems that the majority of them belong in the "tough love" category. I look forward to thinking more about this "tough love" as I read through the DC. I wonder sometimes that I tend to crave just straight love and sympathy, but really what I need is maybe a little rebuke and direction. Hmmmm.

Curiosity pique: the introduction explains a few of the literary changes and references the name changes starting in 78. Here is the explanation of name changes, which is in the heading of section 78.


Happy New Year! Welcome 2009!

3 comments:

  1. I love how matter of fact it is. It is clear and to the point. When I was first starting to red scriptures on my own I read the cartoon version that the church puts out. The DC was my favorite. I think that it was for that very reason- it is clear and to the point. While we still learn from stories in the DC it is more a collection of answers to prayers rather than a collection of stories and events like in the Bible and Book of Mormon. It is the Doctrine of Christ written for our day in language we can clearly understand.

    There is a popular image of God as loving to the point that He is, well, basically just a loving pushover who excepts everyone in whatever state they are in on whatever path they are taking. A recent study said that a majority of Christians believe that there are many paths back to God just like there are many different kinds of people. I saw that portrayal a lot out here with all of the anti prop 8 stuff. The scriptures don't teach about that God. He is a tough love parent who is teaching us line upon line-stretching us to meet our potential. He has given us weaknesses that we may be made strong and like Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you with the matter-of-fact method of delivery. In some ways, I am imagining, from a non-LDS perspective (which may not be accurate of course) that this delivery meets "shock and awe" criteria. For those who are ready for it, it is effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. When I read the paragraph on the physical restoration of the Priesthood I wondered how a non-LDS perspective would take that matter of factness. "Shock and awe" would fit.

    ReplyDelete