What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Work and Reward. Mar 12th

Thurs, Mar 12th: DC 75; Our Heritage,page 11.
Section 75 mentions the reward for teaching the gospel:
5 "And thus, if ye are faithful ye shall be laden with many sheaves, and crowned with honor, and glory, and immortality, and eternal life." As do other scriptures we've read this week. I've always thought the Lord listing rewards for us was an interesting thing to do. We all tend to act for some incentive or other. I have been bothered though by those who think LDS people do all they do, just to earn their reward. While the reward is part of why we are obedient, because it's just a consequence of our action, I think one of the reasons we are told rewards for hard work and obedience is to show us the worth of our work.

For instance in section 18 we are told that the "worth of souls is great in the sight of God," and "if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father! And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!" If the value of even one soul is great enough to move you into the kingdom of God, the work it takes to bring that one soul to the Savior, must be great and valuable work and should be addressed with serious effort.

One other bit in section 75, is the issue of shaking of the dust from your feet when someone does not receive a person teaching the restored gospel (v 20-21). When I was a missionary this was spoken with a tone of blessed retribuition by some missionaries (didn't give me a good feeling in such a light). It is my feeling that this is a call to use righteous judgement. When someone will not be receptive, despite your great desire to have them accept the truth, it must be left alone before damage is done. But, this is something that is only guided and directed by the Spirit, the guide for righteous judgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment