What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Monday, March 23, 2009

JST. Mar 23rd

Mon, Mar 23rd: Bible Dictionary, “Joseph Smith Translation,” 717

I have always been intrigued with the Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible. I wonder if Joseph had lived longer and finished the translation, would the JST translation of the Bible be the official Bible of the LDS church? Did Heavenly Father want us to use the King James Version of the Bible so that we might have some commonality with other churches (or some other reason that my mind cannot comprehend), and therefore Joseph just did what he could do, and we live with that? Whatever the reason, Heavenly Father must have been satisfied with the work and extent of the work that Joseph did, for no other prophet has been commanded to continue a new translation of the Bible itself, as a whole.

Here is a great article from the Ensign called Joseph Smith's Efforts to Publish His Bible "Translation."

Here is an insightful excerpts from the article about what we can learn from Joseph's work regarding the translation:
The translation was begun in June 1830, commencing with Genesis. The
Prophet had just previously brought the Book of Mormon from the press (March
18–25) and organized the Church (6 April 1830). At this early time, there was
still much to be revealed to the Prophet about the doctrines of the gospel and
the management of the young Church. As the facts are assembled, it becomes clear
that one of the benefits of the Bible translation is that it provided the
Prophet with the spiritual involvement necessary for the revelation of many
important doctrines. That these revelations came as a result of intense study of
the holy scriptures is a lesson in itself. Answers are found while searching the
scriptures because inspiration comes from studying the Lord’s own words. They
are an unfailing source of light and inspiration.

1 comment:

  1. I think that Quote sums it up perfectly. I love that so much of our doctrine comes from the questions he had as he read the scriptures.

    I do think that at this point in time it is good that the KSV is our official Bible.

    ReplyDelete