What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

One. Mar 17th

Tues, Mar 17th: 38:24–41; 52:2–5, 42–43

Sometimes I wonder, in our individualistic world, how we could be untied as one. There are so many different things to think and work for and support and we are encouraged to find our own strengths, be your own kind of different, make your own footprint in the world, make your own way. It seems sometimes, that we are bombarded witht these individualistic messages that we forget that if we want to be happy, there are universal truths to live by regardless of religious belief. Don't get me wrong, I think finding your own way and all of those messages are incredibly important, that's how we find ourselves. But if we focus on the "ourselves" part too much, we will actually lose our focus on the correct things.

Here are the universal truths or reasons that the Lord suggest we unify under and for:

38:24-24 And let every man esteem his brother as himself, and practise virtue and holiness before me. And again I say unto you, let every man esteem his brother as himself. When the Lord says something twice, it's pretty important. We do not need to be clones to know that our neighbors are following the same standards as we are and therefore esteem them as ourselves. We need to apprieciate our neighbors as we would want to be appreciated for what we can offer. I can offer nutrition information, my neighbor is a bus mechanic. I can be esteemed for what I am on the same level that he can be esteemed. On a spiritual level, I may have commited some sin, while my neighbor has not. But hopefully the esteem I receive will be one of empathy, concern and love, as we are all trying to do our best with the knowledge and character we have.

38:31: "And that ye might escape the power of the enemy, and be gathered unto me a righteous people, without spot and blameless— " This is a great banner to unite under: "to escape the power of the enemy." I feel great unity when I go to church and we discuss topics that help us universally avoid sin, that help me feel like I'm part of a great force to do good and to be good.

35 And they shall look to the poor and the needy, and administer to their relief that they shall not suffer; and send them forth to the place which I have commanded them; Service to others, is next to the power of being around children, when it comes to unifying people for a great cause. There is something seemingly magical that happens when a group of people unite to care for another individual or group of people. Perhaps it's because giving to others is just what the Savior did for us, the ultimate selfless act and if we even exhibit an inkling of doing a selfless act, we are transformed.

39 And if ye seek the riches which it is the will of the Father to give unto you, ye shall be the richest of all people, for ye shall have the riches of eternity; and it must needs be that the riches of the earth are mine to give; but beware of pride, lest ye become as the Nephites of old. If we seek for the same eternal riches, we are unified in seeking for the same goal. We may go about seeking this same goal in different ways according to how we were raised, our personalities and talents, but those universal truths of love, service and endurance are the uniting factors. The caution to beware of pride, extends beyond earthly riches to not esteeming your brother as yourself in anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment