What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Open Your Mouth. Mar 11th

Wed, Mar 11th: DC 18; 31; 33
These three sections have a lot of "cry repentance" in them. The word "repentace", I think, has a bit of a negative connotation, for a few reasons: 1) it is hard and humbling 2) it is has a dramatic feel to it, a sort of Hollywood-ish definition where the word comes from the mouth of a crazed preacher and 3) because of things like #2, the word repentance is overused and has therefore become hollow.

Here is the definition in the Bible Dictionary: "The Greek word of which this is the translation denotes a change of mind, i.e., a fresh view about God, about oneself, and about the world." It does go on to talk about repenting for sins and that when your heart is turned to God, you will want to ask for forgiveness for the things that you have chosen, that have taken you away from Him. The two definitions really do go together and perhaps can be considered as such: Step 1: having the desire to be close to God and Step 2: Asking for remission of those things that have kept you from God.

So, as we read sections 18, 31 and 33, when these men are called to cry repentace to the world, first think of Step 1, teaching a fresh view about God, about oneself, and about the world, by teaching the tenants of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Then think about Step 2, which should natuarally follow, after such a fresh view is obtained. Repentance does not seem hollow when I consider these steps, especially because when I have been compelled to be humble and recognized my wrongs, much of my shame comes from recognizing how far I let myself wander from all members of the Godhead.

In section 31, Thomas B. Marsh is told (v 8) to strengthen people and prepare them against the time when they shall be gathered in. So, crying repentance really is just more than saying the word "REPENT!" It is strengthening them for the unforseen time when they will be challenged and gathered in. That is, make sure they have had a change of heart, make sure they know how to uphold the change of heart and how to maintain that under pressure.

Section 33 also talks about maintaining a change of heart by recalling the parable of the ten virgins (17-18) "Wherefore, be faithful, praying always, having your lamps trimmed and burning, and oil with you, that you may be ready at the coming of the Bridegroom—For behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, that I come quickly. Even so. Amen." Not only do we need to have our lamps filled, which is often talked about, but we need to have our lamps trimmed and burning.

So, be active in taking care of yourself, then taking care of those you are directed to take care of. In a word, endure.

No comments:

Post a Comment