What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Repentance. Tues, Feb 10th

D&C 58:42–43, D&C 1:32, 58:42, ; D&C 109:53: Here's an interesting thing about repentance and being human: for some reason when we sin, we think that have completely failed and we have a tendency to put off repentance because we feel so badly about failing at something that God commands. Here's hope for us: "he who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more." I feel that Heavenly Father sees our failures as progress, He's just waiting for us to see it that way. This doesn't mean we shouldn't take our sins seriously, if we don't, repentance is not real. But perhaps we assume Heavenly Father's love is conditional because of our actions, because sometimes the love we show each other is conditional, i.e. he hurt me, therefore I love him less. Not true with Heavenly Father. He loves us because we are part of Him, because we have great potential. He may wish that we make wiser choices because He knows we will be happier if we do, but His love for us is constant no matter what we think of ourselves.

Alma 5:13, Alma 7:14 What is a change of heart? How are we born again? I think this is when you realize what you really are - a human being with human tendancies, hoping for real joy and realizing that because of human tendancies, you really can't achieve true joy on your own. This is when your heart is broken and your spirit is contrite. You cannot do this on your own. You need the miracle of Christ's atonement. . . . .

D&C 18:11–13 ; D&C 19:16–19 ; 2 Nephi 2:6–9, . . . . . which is described in these verses. Reading these verses just makes me amazed. So, I wonder, if we know this, why is it we don't repent faster than we do? Pride. It think we don't seek repentance because of pride. We think we can deal with it ourselves, or we've rationalized that we've made the right choice, when we really haven't. Sometimes we don't want to admit we're wrong, sometimes we think we deserve to live in shame and should punish ourselves, sometimes we make the happiness from our choices pass for joy, but it's really not. There are many facets of pride. In fact, my favorite talk "Beware of Pride" by President Benson is worth reading at least once a year.

D&C 1:33, 19:17–18, D&C 29:17, This doesn't sound great. If you don't repent.

No comments:

Post a Comment