What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Monday, February 16, 2009

Organization. Mon. Feb 16th

Doctrine and Covenants 13; 20:38–67; 27:12–13
Here is what I think is amazing: Joseph Smith experienced "the first vision" in 1820, the priesthood was not given to him until 1829. Here's what happened during those nine years:
  • Joseph discovered that he could ask God a question and had faith he would receive an answer, as the Bible directed and learns that Satan is real.
  • Joseph received his answer, also discovering the God has a body as well as Jesus Christ, that he is known to both, that he has a mission, that ancient scripture is in fact true and the prophecies contained therein must be fulfilled, among other things.
  • Joseph is visited by Moroni four times, who rehearses scripture, again verifying their truth and necesity and introducing the necesity of new scripture, which he would have part in bringing to light according to the time and will of God.
  • People come to Joseph to help the will of God go forth
  • Translation of The Book of Mormon begins
  • Joseph and others learn about the workings of the Spirit, callings from the Lord, and have many opportunities to repent including the biggie of continually asking for something they shouldn't and then losing the manuscript
  • Joseph is told to look forward to the revelation of the Priesthood
  • He learns how Satan works and why

There are many, many more things that he learned that are recorded and even more he learned that are not recorded. My point in listing all of these things is that Joseph and others interested learned core truths necessary for righteous living and having a relationship with God and Jesus Christ before the Priethood of Aaron was restored. This is so intriguing to me! This exemplifies the truth that the things of God must be learned line upon line precept upon precept. I think this is so intriguing because nearly 200 years after the first vision, we have gotten so used to having the priesthood available that it almost become a question of which came first, the chicken or the egg? After Joseph and others learned core truths, then they were ready to be organized. Enter the Priesthood. Now, I know that the Priesthood is the power to act in the name of God and there is great power in that. But more and more I appreciate the Priesthood in it's two categories: 1)organization and 2) to bless people personally and in a variety of ways. The two categories are often intertwined and I appreciate that, but I seem to have a clearer understanding when I appreciate them seperately.

A good organization is based on rules that will stand, that will always be, that will maintain organization and not chaos. Here are the extremely basic rules for the organization: men will have the priesthood, there will be two levels of priesthood, Aaronic and Melchizedek, each will have their own duties so that we know that each duty will be performed. Can we question the order of this organization? Yes. Can we even fight against the order of this organization? Yes, we are given that right. But for the sake of the organization, to be organized as was intended (by God, by the way) the rules must stand.

My thoughts are not finished about this (and I don't expect they will be for a while which is a hopeful and lovely thing) and I will enjoy thinking more about the Priesthood this week. Please share you thoughts, I'm very interested to here different perspectives.

2 comments:

  1. My thoughts are all over the place on this one. Hopefully I can make this comment a cohesive whole...
    So anyway...
    The lesson about Joseph Smith needing the Holy Ghost to translate (in primary)shared a story about him and Emma having a fight. He couldn't translate after the fight. He had to make things right with her and ask for her forgiveness before he could translate again. One of the kids in my class said- "He just apologized so he could translate again?" I said, "No, he had to repent and be sincere, otherwise he couldn't have gotten the Holy Ghost back to translate." Joseph Smith was being trained to be a leader and a Prophet. He was being trained in every aspect of his life.
    I love how the lessons have focused on the preparation and the learning that Heavenly Father gives to our leaders. I love that our leaders are human.
    One of my friends has this quote from Brigham Young that is brilliant; "I am more afraid that this people have so much confidence in their leaders that they will not inquire for themselves of God whether they are led by Him. I am fearful they settle down in a state of blind self-security, trusting their eternal destiny in the hands of their leaders with a reckless confidence that in itself would thwart the purposes of God in their salvation, and weaken that influence they could give to their leaders, did they know for themselves, by the revelations of Jesus, that they are led in the right way. Let every man and woman know, by the whispering of the Spirit of God to themselves, whether their leaders are walking in the path the Lord dictates, or not. This has been my exhortation continually."
    ~ Brigham Young

    I know in any calling that I have received I have been stretched, humbled, and changed if I allow the Spirit to work with me. I know it is the same for our leaders and that many times they have been called to that position to learn things that they may lack. Sometimes that makes it hard for us that are following. Sometimes we will be the agent by which a leader will learn (as in Emma's case) and sometimes we won't. We always have prayer and the help of the Holy Ghost to help us determine what our reaction should be. The priesthood is a call to leadership but it is also a call to serve, to be compassionate, to listen, to grow, and to become more like Heavenly Father. I am thankful for the organization and all that it facilitates. I am also thankful for the Spirit that tells us when it might be appropriate to adjust or change things too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, love that quote from Brigham Young. I faintly remember hearing the story about Joseph and Emma arguing, thank you for bringing it to the front of my mind again. It is always a good reminder that prophets are human and they struggle. We do tend to deify them, though I'm sure they would much rather have our empathy rather than praise.

    ReplyDelete