What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Keys and blessings. Wed, Feb 18th

Another proof of the necessity of learning line upon line: The Priesthood was restored in 1829, but the keys for gathering Isreal, the keys to seal, the keys of the dispensation, were restored in 1836. Nearly seven years that Joseph surely knew about the possibility of sealings as well as the necessity of the gathering, but knew he must wait for the right time. Joseph was very good at waiting. He was very patient. This is a good thing for me to read and think about. I may have referenced this before, because such a great thought, but Elder Neal A. Maxwell said: "Patience is a willingness, in a sense, to watch the unfolding purposes of God with a sense of awe and wonder, rather thanf pacing up and down the cell of our circumstance."

Here is a really great scripture to ponder upon concerning the Priesthood: JS-H 1:74 (one scripture beyond the reading)
"Our minds being now enlightened, we began to have the scriptures laid open to our understandings, and the true meaning and intention of their more mysterious passages revealed unto us in a manner which we never could attain to previously, nor ever before had thought of. In the meantime we were forced to keep secret the circumstances of having received the Priesthood and our having been baptized, owing to a spirit of persecution which had already manifested itself in the neighborhood. "

Now this comment comes after Joseph adn Oliver received, first the Aaronic Priesthood, then they were baptized, the Holy Ghost descended upon them at that time, but they did not have the Melchizedek Priesthood to confer the gift of the Holy Ghost. But after these two ordinances their minds were enlightened, they understood the true meaning and intention of scripture. This enlightenment came of desire, obedience and action. All men and women are able to have the same enlightenment provided they follow the same course. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment