What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Thursday, June 11, 2009

So much to learn. . .

I should've started posting on Monday. There are so many things I think about learning and studying, but I'll keep it to one post. Your welcome.

These verses are taken from their sections to go along with a theme, though some of their contexts are very interesting too. I think I will tak each passage as they sort of fit together and pontificate.

Here are the things that we are supposed to learn: everything.

88:78-79: "be instructed more perfectly in theory, in principle, in doctrine, in the law of the gospel, in all things that pertain unto the kingdom of God, that are expedient for you to understand. Of things both in heaven and in the earth, and under the earth; things which have been, things which are, things which must shortly come to pass; things which are at home, things which are abroad; the wars and the perplexities of the nations, and the judgments which are on the land; and a knowledge also of countries and of kingdoms.

90:15: And set in order the churches, and study and learn, and become acquainted with all good books, and with languages, tongues, and people.

A bit of a tall order? Here is how we go about it:
88:118: And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith.

There are plenty of things to learn in the world. But we are requested to learn it by faith. Essentially, we need to ask Heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ if what we are learning or have learned fits into the categories of "light and truth," see 93:36.

Here is how we discern light and truth from other knowledge: 136:33 For my Spirit is sent forth into the world to enlighten the humble and contrite, and to the condemnation of the ungodly.

Here is how we gain knowledge (first realizing that we have knowledge to gain and that there is a Giver of knowledge, that we don't know it all):
136:32 - Let him that is ignorant learn wisdom by humbling himself and calling upon the Lord his God, that his eyes may be opened that he may see, and his ears opened that he may hear;

88:118 - teach one another words of wisdom

88:122 - Appoint among yourselves a teacher, and let not all be spokesmen at once; but let one speak at a time and let all listen unto his sayings

Here is what happens when we study by faith:
19:23 - Learn of me, and listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my Spirit, and you shall have peace in me.

88:80 - That ye may be prepared in all things when I shall send you again to magnify the calling whereunto I have called you, and the mission with which I have commissioned you.

88:122 - that when all have spoken that all may be edified of all, and that every man may have an equal privilege

Here is what happens when we don't seek knowledge with faith and the Spirit.
2Ne 9:28 - O that cunning plan of the evil one! O the vainness, and the frailties, and the foolishness of men! When they are learned they think they are wise, and they hearken not unto the counsel of God, for they set it aside, supposing they know of themselves, wherefore, their wisdom is foolishness and it profiteth them not. And they shall perish.

Here are my thoughts about Satan and learning: The purpose of Satan is to provide opposition. When he offered the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil to Adam and Eve, he didn't just offer the fruit, he educated them. He gave them the opportunity to learn, he gave them options. Like I said before, there are plenty of things that we can learn in the world and at a more rapid pace than every before. I think one of Satan's tactics is to educate and one of Heavnely Father's blessings is education. I think we sometimes believe that educating ourselves, no matter what the topic, is virtuous. But it is not virtuous if you choose knowledge over light and truth. I mean, light and truth can encompass knowledge, but all knowledge is not light and truth. How important and wonderful it is to use the Holy Ghost in judging whether we should start or continue on a certain path of learning.

2 comments:

  1. I just got called to YW so now I'll get to go to SS sometimes!!! Woohoo! Matt and I will have to trade off since Asher is rambunctious and not officially in nursery yet. Your post makes me excited to go though - I need all the extra reminders I can get to study and learn.

    ReplyDelete