What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Priesthood for all

Over the last few years I have really grown to love and appreciate the Priesthood power and those who hold righteously administer this power. I have always loved the fact that we can receive blessings, but my appreciation has grown beyond just the laying on of hands blessings.

For a while, I really wondered why women couldn't hold the Priesthood. I wouldn't say that I was antagonistic with the issue, but I just questioned and pondered. I read a lot and listened to what other people think and this is what I discovered: accepting the Priesthood is the resposibility of ALL, not just worthy men. Let me clarify. My husband can accept the Priesthood by living the oath and covenant of the Priesthood, but he still has the responsibility to accept the Priesthood power that is held by other Priesthood holder. I have to do the same, that is, accept the Priesthood power that is held by any Priesthood holder. Both degrees of acceptance require humility and faith and action and a lot of other virtues that both male and females can have. The end goal is to accept Heavenly Father's will.

Section 84:35-39 lays this idea out nicely. This is the "Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood," and I think sometimes when women or men who do not hold the Priesthood hear that it is directed to those who are ordained in the Priesthood, eyes and minds are shut. This is unfortunate. I could be totally off on this, so if I am let me know. But the principle of acceptance here is true for anyone. Here it is (italics added):

35 And also all they who receive this priesthood receive me, saith the Lord;
36 For he that receiveth my servants receiveth me;
37 And he that receiveth me receiveth my Father;
38 And he that receiveth my Father receiveth my Father’s kingdom; therefore all that my Father hath shall be given unto him.

I take it to mean that anyone, male or female, who receives the priesthood, speaking of receiving as an acceptance, will receive Heavenly Father's servants, receive the Lord and receive Heavenly Father's kingdom and all it has to offer. I believe these blessings are not limited by gender, nor are the required virtues for truly accepting what the Priesthood is and who holds it. Essentially, if the Priesthood is viewed as something you have or do not have, then you have a matter of PRIDE on your hands. If the Priesthood is viewed withThe End to that thought.

The other reason I have come to deeply appreciate the Priesthood is because it provides organization for the church. It gives us all a place and order to our places. It gives us confidence that such organization does not change and therefore
avoids chaos and therefore is a constant source of revelation, inspiration and comfort.

A quick comment about section 121:34-46. I think this is a passage that talks more about pride than the Priesthood, so whoever you are or whatever you hold, don't think you are more important that God, or what He thinks. The End.

1 comment:

  1. Nice thoughts Lisa. I agree and am grateful I'm married to someone who honors and upholds his priesthood. I've never felt without it and know I have other venues to obtain blessings from it when Riley isn't around, like for the next month while he's in Mongolia!

    ReplyDelete