What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Smarter than your average devil

I have to say that I am getting much more out of Sunday School than I ever did. If no one reads this blog, I will still come out on top.

Satan is such an interesting being to think about. How can a being know that he will lose eventually, but still try to hard to win? Pride, I guess. And his purpose is to provide opposition, so I guess he just needs to fulfill his purpose.

Many of the readings for this topic talk about following the prophet (he knows the way!). That if there is ever a question about whether a person is telling us the truth, if it's really revelation for us, we can check with the prophets' teachings and verify truth. How blessed we are to have a current prophet and past prophets back to Adam. The trick is to be a follower.

Some of the readings are about other people who professed to receive revelation for the church. I think this is very interesting. It shows how Satan is so very clever (among other ways).

Here you are, a new convert in a new church. You believe that Joseph Smith receive current revelations. You have not heard of any other church receiving current revelations. It's quite a novel idea. This information is good. This information comes from God, via His chosen prophet. You learn that you can receive personal revelation. A true and wonderful doctrine and vibrates your soul. You receive revelation that blesses your life. Enter Satan: Having received knowledge of church and personal revelation, which are true principles, a though enters into your heart and mind - perhaps I can receive revelation for others, just to help them, after all you believe in a church that received revelation from God for the good of all. Errrrrrrt! Check with the prophets, God's chosen mouthpiece. Only he is to receive revelation for the church. So you keep your ideas to yourself.

Apparently some did not keep that idea to themselves, and in fact the Lord said that Satan deceived them. Others believed them, or were at least questioning. Which is why the Lord reminded them that revelation for the church only comes from the chosen prophet. It really is simple. There are grey areas of course, but only grey until it becomes clear.

I am continually amazed at how many evil things are based on principles of truth, but then twisted. Twisted just enough to make people think they are still operating with truths, and are therefore justified, but reaping very evil acts and evil fruits and then lives and even generations are changed. Very cunning and clever. We must be on guard at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment