What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Seeking Gifts. Tues, Feb 14th

I love this topic. The gifts of the spirit. I love that there is a list of the gifts of the spirit. We actually have a list of the things, besides the gift of the Holy Ghost itself, that Heavenly Father will give to help us help others, which in the end helps us!

Here's what got me today. We are told to seek for these gifts: testimony, wisdom, knowledge, faith, tongues, understanding tongues and more. We are told that some people (leaders of the church) will have many or all of the gifts. Most of us will have some of the gifts, but not all. Some of us will be born with gifts and we have to seek to develop them and some of us will not have much of a clue, but if we seek spiritual gifts they can be given.

There are many things that we seek for in this life, and we do it with a passion. We seek for money, we seek for satisfaction, we seek for peace, we seek for power, we seek for rest, we seek for the big payoff. My guess is we don't really seek for spiritual gifts the way that we seek for more immediate, tangible things. Why? Really, the gift of tongues, the gift of faith, the gift of discernment and other spiritual gifts, offer the bigger payoff, not that we're looking for payoff, but it's true. We are blessed with more and more when we seek for and use our spiritual gifts as Heavenly Father intends. So, why? Because it takes patience to earn and use spiritual gifts wisely, because spiritual gifts are not seen as valuable or tangible in getting along in the world, because there are other "more pressing" things to seek for that would provide for our comfort and satisfaction.

I have to think about this focus. Should it be a daily focus? How do I know which spiritual gift to focus on? to develop? Hmmm. This will be good to think about this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment