What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Lord's Day. Tues, April 21

I think the Bible Dictionary is great. I've wondered why the Bible Dictionary is not the size of the Topical Guide sometimes because there is so much good information in the Bible Dictionary. I guess there are more topics and it's probably a good exercise to take the time and mental effort to look up scriptures in more than one place. I probably prefer the BD because the answer is there and it's explained for you. Yeah, maybe I'm just lazy. Regardless of my work ethic, the Bible Dictionary is really great.

The entry for the "Sabbath" goes into the history of the Lord's Day. A Sabbath day has always been in existence, except perhaps during the dark ages. But even then, there were days of worship. The Sabbath day became an easy target for jots and tittles of the law. The Lord's expectations of the day were rather simple compared to what the Pharisees made it out to be. I think it is the same today. The expectations are rather simple, the problem is that there are so many more options to choose from, ways to spend our time that are completely different from the Lord's commandments and leader's suggestions, but nevertheless, those ways to spend time are before us.

Here is the defining paragraph from the BD:
The importance of a sacred day for man to rest from his temporal labors,
contemplate the world of the Lord, and assemble for public worship is a major
item in a person's spiritual development. Furthermore, a decay in the
national religious life always follows any tendency toward carelessness in the
matter of Sabbath observance. The existence of a weekly holy day is a most
important safeguard; it leaves a constant reminder to the individual of his need
for spiritual sustenance and his duty before God, and serves as a witness to the
world that there is such a thing as revealed religion.

I just don't know if there is anything I can add to that which would explain the importance of the Sabbath day any better than that.

The next paragraph explains that the change from worshipping on the seventh day of the week to the first day of the week is not so important. It's just important that we have that day to remember the works of God. But the first day of the week does commemorate the resurrection of the Savior and it is symbolic of the creation of the earth and the deliverance of Israel from Egypt.

I think I'll talk about the sacrament tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment