What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Fasts and Tithes. April 29th

I really, really love computers. I love how efficient I can run my life with the aid of computers. which means when they don't work, I don't feel very efficient. Sorry I haven't posted the last two days, with a busy schedule and no computer, it hasn't been possible. So, here is one post on all three days of reading.

I love both of these laws. there are a few reasons why I like the law of tithing. First, I feel that it contributes to helping Heavenly Father in helping His purposes come to pass. Second, it is nice to have a law that you know you are 100% in obeying (or not). Third, it just feels right. I am not bothered by the fact the tithing is a "lesser" law given because those who committed to live the law of consecration, couldn't follow through. Just because it is a "lesser" law doesn't mean that it is less important or pertinent in following the commands of the Lord and contributing to the perfection of the saints, redeeming the dead and proclaiming the gospel. I do not feel like we as a church have failed, because we are not able to live the law of consecration. It seems like a wise plan to me, to have the Saints live the law of tithing while knowing their expectations for a later time. For those that want to go beyond the law of tithing, they can, in various ways with their time, money, talents and such. But as a basis, the Lord says 10% is perfectly appropriate for now.

I love the law of the fast. there are so many people who want to get closer to God. Here is one easily attainable way to feel close to God. Fast with a purpose. Fast because you think that Heavenly Father is more important that you are, than what you want, than what you feel. I have not been able to fast for a long time. I shouldn't say that. I have fasted - without food - at times, thinking that I would really show my dedication. But because of the physical problems I reap after going without food, my intent and purpose tend to be forgotten. I've long since felt that fasting is not just going without food, but really taking time and mental and spirital effort to obtain the spirit of the fast. I would say my success in doing this is just about the same as anybody else's. Sometimes purposes are forgotten after a few hours. But when I really do partake of the spirit of the fast, the effects on me are unmistakeable and hopefully unmistakeable for whoever or whatever I am fasting for. President Joseph F. Smith explains this better than I can:

Now, while the law requires the Saints in all the world to fast from 'even
to even' and to abstain both from food and drink, it can easily be seen from the
Scriptures, and especially from the words of Jesus, that it is more important to
obtain the true spirit of love for God and man, 'purity of heart and simplicity
of intention,' than it is to carry out the cold letter of the law....Hence those
who can are required to comply thereto; it is a duty from which they cannot
escape; but let it be remembered that the observance of the fast day by
abstaining twenty-four hours from food and drink is not an absolute rule, it is
no iron-clad law to us, but it is left with the people as a matter of
conscience, to exercise wisdom and discretion.

Both of these laws can be used to come closer to Christ. One is more measurable than the other, but both are spiritually rewarding. I think it's interesting that they are called laws, as laws are something to be followed or there are negative consequences. This is indeed true for these laws, there are negative consequences for not following them, but they might not be felt until later, or after this life. Yet, so many people seem to consider them optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment