What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Priesthood Power

Readings:   


I apologize for skipping a week.  My goal is to keep up on the SundaySchool lessons even though I'm not in Sunday school anymore and I've flaked out on the first week!  Here are the two main reasons: 1) I can't say no to people who ask me to do things and 2) I've actually drawn a blank as to what I should write about the restoration of the priesthood.  Until today that is. Thank goodness.  I actually have very many thoughts about the Priesthood, but haven't known how to put it together with this lesson.  The readings touch upon the restoration of the Aaronic Priesthood, though John the Baptist (appeared as an angel) to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery, and also the Melchizedek Priesthood through Peter, James and John (appeared as angels) to Joseph Smith.  I will leave to you to read through the listed scriptures and will refer to just a few.  Here are my thoughts:

Elder David Bednar gave a wonderful talk on The Powers of Heaven, which explains the Priesthood and all it encompasses last April.  He quoted President David O. McKay in defining what set the Priesthood of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints apart:
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints stands apart from other churches that claim their authority is derived from historical succession, the scriptures, or theological training. We make the distinctive declaration that priesthood authority has been conferred by the laying on of hands directly from heavenly messengers to the Prophet Joseph Smith.
Elder Bednar defined the Priesthood as: 
The priesthood is the authority of God delegated to men on the earth to act in all things for the salvation of mankind (see Spencer W. Kimball, “The Example of Abraham,” Ensign, June 1975, 3). Priesthood is the means whereby the Lord acts through men to save souls. One of the defining features of the Church of Jesus Christ, both anciently and today, is His authority. There can be no true Church without divine authority. Ordinary men are given the authority of the priesthood. Worthiness and willingness—not experience, expertise, or education—are the qualifications for priesthood ordination.
So, the priesthood authority is the power to act in God's name to serve other people. It's not just doing nice and charitable things, which are great by themselves, but it is doing it under the direction of God, finding and doing his will. When Joseph and Oliver asked God about this power, in answer they received the power with this definition of Aaronic (or lesser appendage) Priesthood:
DC 13:1  1 Upon you my fellow servants, in the name of Messiah I confer the Priesthood of Aaron, which holds the keys of the ministering of angels, and of the gospel of repentance, and of baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; and this shall never be taken again from the earth, until the sons of Levi do offer again an offering unto the Lord in righteousness.
It is a ministering power, a power to help people change through repentance and baptism.

Seen as such, one who holds the priesthood has a great and sobering responsibility: to minister to people to help change their lives for the better.  Not many people want to take on that responsibility, but it is part of believing and doing Christ's gospel.  In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, men are given the opportunity to hold the priesthood and actually make a solemn covenant to minister and help and teach. Actually, the responsibility list is quite long, something like this (combination of both Aaronic and Melchizedek Priesthood DC 20:38-67):  Administer sacrament, preach, teach, exhort, expound, baptize, confer the Gift of the Holy Ghost, ordain, lead, watch over, strengthen,  good conduct, assist, warn, invite, meet, direct, appoint and I probably missed some.  

The Aaronic Priesthood is also called the lesser priesthood or preparatory priesthood, where boys starting at 12 years old, can participate in responsibilities appropriate for that age, to help prepare them for the next level of priesthood responsibility, until they are able to receive the Melchizedek priesthood with greater responsibility.

One might ask why on earth would a boy of 12 be given the power to act in the name of God?  One answer: because God is merciful.  To both the boy and to those he serves.  He's provided a method of organized learning and experience that teaches precept by precept. Living by the covenant of the priesthood shows a boy/man how to minister and help others.

The Melchizedek priesthood is the higher priesthood, which is used to officiate and administer.  With the experience gained in the Aaronic priesthood, a boy/man is ready to experience the weightier matters of salvation, such as conferring the Gift of the Holy Ghost, sacred ordinances in the temple and administrative offices necessary to forward the purposes of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

One might ask why a woman cannot do the same.  The ultimate answer I have is: I don't know.  I have heard many reasons that people come up with to attempt to equalize men and women with regard to the priesthood, there are many so I won't even name them.  I still ponder this a lot, and so far, here's what my puny brain has come up with: Priesthood is not an equality issue in the eyes of God. Humans have made it an equality issue though, which is the problem.  While equality is a noble goal to seek and should be sought for in many situations, there is something inherently wrong about telling God that He's got it wrong.  Because here's the deal: if the tenets of the gospel teach us that we are to work and progress toward eternal life, which is living with God again, and that both men and women can get there, why does it matter it we get there a little differently?

I think Doctrine and Covenants 84:33-39 helped me understand this concept:
 33 For whoso is faithful unto the obtaining these two priesthoods of which I have spoken, and the magnifying their calling, are sanctified by the Spirit unto the renewing of their bodies.
 34 They become the sons of Moses and of Aaron and the seed of Abraham, and the church and kingdom, and the elect of God.
 35 And also all they who receive this priesthood receive me, saith the Lord;
 36 For he that receiveth my servants receiveth me;
 37 And he that receiveth me receiveth my Father;
 38 And he that receiveth my Father receiveth my Father’s kingdom; therefore all that my Father hath shall be given unto him.
 39 And this is according to the oath and covenant which belongeth to the priesthood.
Essentially, whoever, man or woman, accepts the priesthood and whoever holds it righteously, accepts the Savior and God, the Father.  This will lead to completing whatever steps the Savior says to complete and will lead to reception in the Father's Kingdom.

Like I said, this is what my puny, human brain has come up with so far.  Perhaps with more learning and experience I will discover more later.  I am grateful for the peace I feel about the issue now and am very grateful for the blessings of the power and organization of the Priesthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment