What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Faith, Repentance, Baptism, Holy Ghost

Readings: See Lesson 7 in the Study Guide

The topic for this week covers many separate verses throughout the Doctrine and Covenants and The Book of Mormon.  I am taking the easy way out and referring you to the Study Guide to find them.  Verses I refer to, I will include within the post.

This was another great lesson for me to ponder this week.  I love to ponder about faith.  I find it interesting when people say "keep the faith," "you've got to have faith," or "I'm having a trial of faith."  What does this mean?  That you are just going through a hard time?  That you are losing interest in religion? Trying to maintain interest in religion? Just endure the trial until it's over?

The fourth Article of Faith states the first four principles and ordinances of the gospel:
4 We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
As this article states, faith is not just hoping something turns out right, or holding out for better days, it is turning to and having trust in the being that will help you have an eternal perspective in your trial: Jesus Christ. How do we trust him?

DC 19:23
 23 Learn of me, and listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my Spirit, and you shall have peace in me.
So, it seems to me that a true trial of your faith is whether you will turn to Christ in any given trial/emotion/experience.  But turning to Christ is not all the is included in having faith.  James (2:14-17) put it best:

 14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
 15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
 16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
 17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
or DC 20:69
 69 And the members shall manifest before the church, and also before the elders, by a godly walk and conversation, that they are worthy of it, that there may be works and faith agreeable to the holy scriptures—walking in holiness before the Lord. 

Essentially, when we turn to the Lord for guidance and help through a trial of faith, we do it with real intent, which I posted about in December.  What are your intentions with the answer He will give you?

If the answer you receive after you have turned to the Savior, is not what you are looking for, perhaps a change of heart is necessary.  Change of heart = repentance.

DC 58:42-43
42 Behold, he who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more.
 43 By this ye may know if a man repenteth of his sins—behold, he will confess them and forsake them.
A question offered in class today regarding repentance was: Is changing behavior the same as repenting?  President Benson says no:
“Repentance means more than simply a reformation of behavior. … True repentance is based on and flows from faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. There is no other way. True repentance involves a change of heart and not just a change of behavior (see Alma 5:13)” (The Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson [1988], 71). 
So, not only are we relying on the Lord to help us have eternal perspective about our trials and life in general, we are relying on him to help us change our heart to understand that perspective or have patience until we do. This is His whole purpose:

DC 18:11-13
11 For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him.
 12 And he hath risen again from the dead, that he might bring all men unto him, on conditions of repentance.
 13 And how great is his joy in the soul that repenteth!
A good thing to be aware of if a person decides not to repent is this:
DC 18:17-18
 17 But if they would not repent they must suffer even as I;
 18 Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink— 
Heavenly Father, then, has given ordinances to help us increase our knowledge, faith and understanding: Baptism and the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

Baptism, according to the doctrine of Christ is absolutely, positively essential in order to return to Him.  Makes sense, right?  Why would you be admitted into his kingdom if you don't profess to know him or try to follow his doctrine?

DC 18:22
 22 And as many as repent and are baptized in my name, which is Jesus Christ, and endure to the end, the same shall be saved.
DC 49:13-14
13 Repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ, according to the holy commandment, for the remission of sins;
 14 And whoso doeth this shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, by the laying on of the hands of the elders of the church. 
The manner of baptism, some of its symbolism and importance is included in
DC 20:37
 37 And again, by way of commandment to the church concerning the manner of baptism—All those who humble themselves before God, and desire to be baptized, and come forth with broken hearts and contrite spirits, and witness before the church that they have truly repented of all their sins, and are willing to take upon them the name of Jesus Christ, having a determination to serve him to the end, and truly manifest by their works that they have received of the Spirit of Christ unto the remission of their sins, shall be received by baptism into his church. 
It should be clarified that baptism by immersion (as well as receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands), by the proper authority, is what will admit a person into the kingdom of God.  This authority must come right from God.  How do you know it comes right from God? You've got to ask Him.  This will be addressed in the next post.

After the one-time performance of the ordinance of baptism by proper authority, a person received the Gift of the Holy Ghost.
DC 132:22
 22 The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us.
The Holy Ghost has many functions:
DC 18:18
 18 Ask the Father in my name, in faith believing that you shall receive, and you shall have the Holy Ghost, which manifesteth all things which are expedient unto the children of men.
John 14:26
 26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
DC 42:17
17 For, behold, the Comforter knoweth all things, and beareth record of the Father and of the Son. 
DC 11:12
 12 And now, verily, verily, I say unto thee, put your trust in that Spirit which leadeth to do good—yea, to do justly, to walk humbly, to judge righteously; and this is my Spirit.
 13 Verily, verily, I say unto you, I will impart unto you of my Spirit, which shall enlighten your mind, which shall fill your soul with joy; 
DC 31:11
 11 Go your way whithersoever I will, and it shall be given you by the Comforter what you shall do and whither you shall go. 
Through faith in Jesus Christ, changing our hearts through repentance, being baptized and following the promptings of the Holy Ghost, we will be led through life.  It's easier said than done, but it is THE way, HIS way.

No comments:

Post a Comment