What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Wait a second, we missed a couple things

Reading: Moroni 1-6

Moroni thought he was done writing in The Book of Mormon, but had felt otherwise.  The things he included in the first few chapters are interesting ones to include, but necessary to the governance of the church and performance of ordinances.

Moroni 1:4:
Wherefore, I write a few more things, contrary to that which I had supposed; for I had supposed not to have written any more; but I write a few more things, that perhaps they may be of worth unto my brethren, the Lamanites, in some future day, according to the will of the Lord.

Chapter 2
Moroni uses only 3 verses to establish that the 12 disciples were given the authority to confer the gift of the Holy Ghost, which is the Melchizedek Priesthood.  In doing so, he declares that the authority from God, comes from God only, not what man takes upon himself.

Chapter 3
Not only is the Melchizedek Priesthood established for the governance and blessing of the church, but the Aaronic Priesthood, (the priesthood that prepares a man to receive the Melchizedek Priesthood), is established as well.  Within these to priesthoods are varying callings and  privileges to care for people, and administer ordinances which help people to live their lives so that they may return to live with God.

Chapter 4 and 5
These two chapters contain the prayers that are said over the sacrament, the bread and water.  While the administration of the sacrament is referred to in The Book of Mormon, the actual words of the prayers are not written.  Moroni is prompted to include the words exact words, which are the same words that were revealed to Joseph Smith to use and are the same words we use today.

Chapter 6
Moroni informs us of the importance and significance of baptism and meeting together with others who have been baptized. That together we can follow through with our commitment to the Savior.  We can know each other, and by knowing we can help each other, teach each other, be examples for each other and learn from the examples of others.  We are in this together.  Thank goodness!  And the meetings are led by the Holy Ghost, which is even more of a comfort:
9 And their meetings were aconducted by the church after the manner of the workings of the Spirit, and by the bpower of the Holy Ghost; for as the power of the Holy Ghost led them whether to preach, or to exhort, or to pray, or to supplicate, or to sing, even so it was done.
My favorite verse in chapter 6 is this:
 8 But as oft as they repented and sought forgiveness, with real intent, they were forgiven.

As OFTEN as we repent (with real intent - meaning we will do our best to change) we will be forgiven!! What good news!

No comments:

Post a Comment