What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Why not?

1 Nephi 17-22
"Hearken to the Truth and Give Heed"

I remember reading chapter 17 from first Nephi in college and having a light bulb moment.  It's one of those moments when you realize something you've been taught all your life is really true.

In chapter 17, the Lord asks Nephi to build a ship to transport his family to the promised land. Nephi had never built a ship before, but when he was instructed to do so, he didn't hesitate in response, which was: where should I go to get the tools?  His faith and testimony earlier of "the Lord giveth no bcommandments unto the children of men, save he shall cprepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." shines through here.  His brothers, Laman and Lemual, also didn't hesitate in their response of opposite nature: "Are you crazy?"  To which Nephi replies with a rehearsal of all the Lord has provided for them up to this point and also all that the Lord had done for their fathers and generations before, inciting especially Moses parting the red sea and leading the children of Israel to the promised land.  After he rehearses all these experiences to his brothers he says this in ch 17:51


And now, if the Lord has such great power, and has wrought so many miracles among the children of men, how is it that he cannot ainstruct me, that I should build a ship?


This was my light bulb moment!  It may be rather obvious to you, but at that time in my life, it was phenomenal and even as I think back on it I get the same feeling - which is a good thing since I'm required to do more and different things each day!  This, to me, is one of the main reasons that we have scriptures: evidence of the workings of the Lord in the lives of other people to help convince us that he can have the same miraculous effects in our lives today.  So, in order to avoid despair and loneliness, read the scriptures to remind you that there is hope for life and companionship and much, much more!


In Chapter 16 Lehi wakes up one morning to a surprise at his tent door.  He finds an instrument that we later learn is called the Liahona, which is a ball that works according to their faith and when it works it provides direction.  Direction is comfort and provide purpose and meaning.  The scriptures are just like our liahona.  They are literally at our tent door every morning (see your ipad, itouch, cell phone, computer, CD's, and other devices. . . oh and the actual book).  How often to we check it for direction?  For hope for companionship? For love? To correct or maintain our course?  You don't have to be a scholar or take enormous amounts of time to receive the benefits, you just have to read a little with the faith that you will receive guidance.


"And thus we see that by small means the Lord can bring about great things." 1 Ne 16:29

No comments:

Post a Comment