What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Questions about Joseph, Part 1 of lesson #7

There are two posts regarding this week's Sunday School lesson. There is a separate one for Chapter 4, because I have very strong feelings about that chapter.
2 Nephi 3-5

Every time I read 2 Nephi chapter 3, I marvel and the omniscience of God and his plan, and it reminds me that I know so little about His workings, and because of this I need to have faith in what I do know and what I can come to know.

Chapter 3 is addressed to Lehi's son Joseph.  In this chapter, Lehi talks about Joseph's namesake, Joseph of old (the one with the coat of many colors) and also a Joseph to come. I'm going to include the heading of the Chapter as a synopsis hear, and you will have to read the whole chapter yourself:


Joseph in Egypt saw the Nephites in vision—He prophesied of Joseph Smith, the latter-day seer; of Moses, who would deliver Israel; and of the coming forth of the Book of Mormon.
Reading this chapter with faith in God and His Son, Jesus Christ, and understanding through the Holy Spirit, helps put some puzzle pieces together and assures me that God does have a plan.  I wonder what Joseph Smith felt as he translated this chapter which ended up being about himself.  I'm sure it solidified his resolve to do what the Lord asks him to do.
I also wonder, when I read this chapter, what the perspective of a person who does not have faith in God, Christ or guidance by the Holy Spirit sees.  I can see that this chapter, without spiritual aid and testimony of the restored Gospel, can be seen as an attempt of Joseph Smith to authenticate his prophetic role by making connections to the scriptures and prophets of old.  I can see that.  But I can't seem to feel it. I know Joseph Smith had weaknesses, as do most leaders of churches or other organizations do (excepting Jesus Christ).  But I believe his intentions were good and he tried to be as obedient as he could while still living in the world around him and put upon him.  I also know the Savior intervenes for Joseph's weaknesses as He does for mine.  If I refuse to believe that the Savior would intervene for Joseph's weaknesses, than I would have to refuse that power in my life too.  I suppose if you believe that Joseph Smith's weakness was to help restore the church of Jesus Christ, or purporting that he restored it by himself, then that is just focusing on the person of Joseph Smith.  So, the question to ask I guess, is what you believe about God and do you believe he has a plan for the world in general and also a personal plan for you.
So, like I said in the beginning, when I read this chapter I marvel at God and His Son and the Holy Spirit first, their united purposes and plan.  Then I marvel at the players in his plan: Joseph of old, Moses and his helpers, those who brought forth the Bible and The Book of Mormon, and yes, Joseph Smith.  And then I wonder about my purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment