What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Sunday, April 3, 2011

#12 I am the Bread of life

John 5-6   Mark 6:30-44   Matt 14:22-33

This post is not going to be long because there is just one thing that really sticks with me and I'm still pondering it.  It concerns the event when the Savior walks on water and he bids Peter to come to him (Matt 14:22-33 also in John 6).  When I've read this story I've always focused on Peter, and likened him to me.  Sometimes I feel chastized, as perhaps Peter did for not having enough faith.  But when I read it through this time, I focused on what the Savior did.  When Peter started to walk out to Jesus on the water, he actually did walk on water as he kept his eye on the Savior.  When he paid attention to the circumstances around him, he started to sink. What did Peter do first? "He cried, Lord, save me."

"AND IMMEDIATELY JESUS STRETCHED FORTH HIS HAND AND CAUGHT HIM."

Then He said to Peter, "O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?"

Jesus said to Peter, he had only a little faith and asked why he doubted.  BUT THE SAVIOR STILL STRETCHED FORTH HIS HAND AND CAUGHT HIM!!  Even though he only had a little faith, it was at least enough to ask the Lord for help and the Savior saved him.
 Maybe the Savior saying "O thou of little faith" wasn't the rebuke.  It was a statement. A fact that men have little faith, but that's OK.  A little is sometimes enough.  The rebuke is: why did you doubt?  And when I say rebuke, I mean the Savior is teaching him not to pay attention to the circumstance, only to keep focused on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment