What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Sunday, April 3, 2011

#11 He spake many things unto them in parables

Matthew 13

Why does the Savior teach in parables?

·      Teaching with imagery gives something to relate to
·      A parable is a call to investigate the truth
·      Weed out those who don’t/won’t/aren’t ready to understand
·      Mercy – so those who aren’t ready, aren’t accountable yet
·      Conceals messages from those who now strongly oppose Him

The first parable in Matthew 13 is the parable of the sower (vs 1-9) He told them the parable then after they asked about why he spake in parables, he gave them the interpretation of the parable.

So, when He was alone with the apostles, he told them the meaning of the parable.  Note that the only requirement for being taught further is to want to be taught.  They didn’t have any special designations or privileges to merit an interpretation; they just wanted to know more.

There are many different types of soils, but only one seed (the gospel) and only one sower (the Savior).  When I was a missionary we used this passage of scripture a lot (actually read from the gospel of Mark) to forewarn investigators that after they committed to be baptized, they will be bombarded by temptations and persuasions to not be baptized.  So, I associate this passage with missionary work and converts.  But as I read this passage, this year, I realized that at different times in my life my soul has been different soils.  There are times when I have not wanted to do things spiritual, and other times when I couldn't get enough of the doctrines of the gospel.  There are times when I went to church just because I felt I had to and time when I couldn't wait to get back to learn more.  There are times when I have not listened to promptings and others when I have.  But the great thing about soil is, you can always change it.  Even the rotten "soil" in Nevada, you can nurture and enrich so that you can actually grow things you can eat!  

Cultivating our soil or souls in a continual process.  There will always be rocks cropping up, there will always be weeds wanting to grow, there will always be pests wanting to take away nutrients.  But we have control over how fertile our soil or soul is.  It is a great comfort that the seed and the Sower never change.

Other parables in Matthew 13: the wheat and the tares which is a great example of patience.  The Savior shows us that it is necessary for good and bad to grow together, but He must wait until the crop is ready to harvest to tell the difference between what will be saved and what will be burned.

The parables of the treasure in the field and the pearl of great price teach us that sacrifice for the gospel is required in order to gain the benefit thereof.

No comments:

Post a Comment