What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Monday, July 19, 2010

Solomon's gifts: an understanding heart and riches?

King Solomon built the temple that David wanted to build. David has the plans and the material, but was commanded not to build the temple. When his son Solomon became king, building the temple was a singular focus. Well, really it wasn't too singular on the temple, he just decided that he needed to build a house for himself that needed to be bigger than the temple and furnished richly. Because of course you would need a large home to house 1,000 wives and concubines, it's just reality. More on that later.

Something I find interesting about Solomon is that when the Lord asked him what gift he wanted, Solomon told Him "an understanding heart." What a great thing to ask for! He received this gift which was helpful in determining the mother of a poor baby and probably many, many more issues. But, what is interesting is that along with the gift of an understanding heart, the Lord blessed him with great riches. Riches would eventually be the means of his spiritual downfall. So, the Lord gave him a spiritual gift and the Lord gave him a temporal gift. I suppose the spiritual gift could've become a downfall - pride, but it didn't.

I just think it's interesting that we are told over and over in the scriptures that if we keep the commandments we will be blessed with all sorts of things that the Lord sees fit to bless us with. Is the spiritual gift a reward for our faithfulness and are the temporal gifts and challenge to become better, to receive more spiritual gifts? Perhaps that the perspective we should have: Our spiritual gifts are gifts to use with the guidance of the spirit. Our temporal gifts are not to be seen as rewards, but gifts for us to be shepherds over, also to be used with the guidance of the spirit. Temporal gifts are tools to help us help others. Solomon seemed to use his temporal gifts, riches, to make a name for himself, in the name of the Lord. The temple was dedicated for and to the Lord, but the way it was decorated and furnished was more than the Lord needed, it was what Solomon needed.

I couldn't help thinking of how simply beautiful our temples are. They are really not something that other's seem to want to pilfer. But they are simple and beautiful and peaceful. Just what we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment