What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Psalms, not so intimidating

The reading for this lesson is all 150 Psalms. I tried, but only got through 100 then the highlights after that. I learned a lot from what I read and feel that I need to rejoice more than I do. After this post I am going to post about David.

The Savior testified of the importance of the Psalms, specifically because of the Messianic prophecies contained within the book of songs and poetry. When he met the two apostles on the road to Emmaus and joined them for the sacrament this is what he tells them

Luke 24:44-48

The Lord specifically names the book of Psalms and something the apostles should be familiar with. Therefore, so should we.

It is interesting that even his apostles didn’t grasp the meaning of the prophecies or their fulfillment, which is not to say that they were dense, but they were just not ready. How blessed are we to have the two accounts, the prophecies and the fulfillment thereof, so that if we choose to be ready, the information is there.

It has been a blessing fro me to read through all of these Psalms, though they are not the easiest to read, one after another because there is not much of a storyline or context. But here is what I learned.

· Principle doctrines regarding personal salvation are in Psalms. For instance: faith, repentance, priesthood, scriptures, prayer, personal relationship with the Lord, sins to avoid, judgment, mercy

· Praising the Lord needs to happen more often, this is not just a recitation of blessings, though that is a powerful and gracious reminder, it is what the Lord has done for your salvation

· Hebrew words like “selah” or “neginoth” are not meant to be intimidating words to stop us from understanding. They indicate what to do in the song concerning voices and instruments

· New Testament quotes the Psalm over 115 times, often to indicate fulfillment of the prophecies given in Psalms

No comments:

Post a Comment