What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Sunday, March 7, 2010

What is a marriage covenant?

What is a marriage covenant? It’s a covenant with God. Yes, you covenant with each other, but it is a covenant with God. I need to think of marriage more like that. Thinking of my marriage as a covenant with God, and then to my husband makes my marriage more spiritual and more meaningful. It makes my marriage more heavenly and less earthly, which makes me less selfish and snotty. Notice that the title for this lesson is “Marriage IN the covenant” not “marriage IS the covenant.” Marriage IN the covenant tells us that we are to live in a manner that would lead us to the blessings of the Abrahamic covenant. One of those things is marriage by the proper legal and spiritual authority.

Why is it important that we know about Abraham and his covenant marriage, Isaac and his covenant marriage and Jacob and his covenant marriage? Because covenant marriage is established with them. Because their marriages give my marriage hope and life and a better way to live and perceive.

I love the story of Abraham’s servant finding Rebekah for Jacob. It just seems that every thing works out for everybody and not because it just works out, but because everyone involved is living how they should, that Abraham teaches his servants and sons correct principles and they choose to live them.

My thoughts are short this week. It’s been a nutty week. Thanks for your comments Kaye!

No comments:

Post a Comment