What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Readings Jan 4-8th

"Thou Wast Chosen Before Thou Wast Born"

I'm going to try to break up the readings into manageable daily chucks, but you can read it however you want to. I will just determine what is manageable, it may not span over the whole week and I most likely will not comment every day. But I will comment before Sunday (last week excepted).

Monday, Jan 4: Abraham 3:1-14
Tuesday, Jan 5: Abraham 3:15-28
Wednesday, Jan 6th: Moses 4:1–4

2 comments:

  1. Okay. The part/question that sticks out for me is where God foreordained many "other choice spirits" to help build up his kingdom in different ways. What might I have been foreordained to do? Well, first and most obvious I've been foreordained to be a wife and a mother, which means I've been given and entrusted with the responsibility to raise a righteous posterity. Does that mean that I was foreordained to experience what my life offered in order to make me who I am today so I could be ready to be a mother? Or is how I turned out due more to the choices I've made and my desire to live according to God's commandments?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My whole comment was just erased. Grrr. I'll try again.
    I think it’s a mixture of both. Regarding foreordination to motherhood, it seems to me that all women would be foreordained to this, whether in this life or the next, motherhood is an eternal principle. Which means they are foreordained to raise a righteous posterity. But I’m not sure about being foreordained to how you go about fulfilling that. In fact, I think that is left up to you. I’ve had conversations with people who believe that whatever level of faith you attained in the pre-earth life places you in this life. Perhaps the noble and great ones are those who marry in the temple and raise a righteous posterity (if so, this should not be flaunted in front of the many people who do not have this blessing because they had enough faith to choose a mortal life). So, it is partly a gift, and partly your choice, according to me. I do not know why some were given gifts to find their way to the gospel and remain true and others were not.

    ReplyDelete