What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Friday, January 29, 2010

Obedience and Sacrifice

I'm usually a good sleeper. But sometimes I wake up in the night and can't go back to sleep. After I've tried for an hour, I get up and watch the BYU channel which shows "Discussions on the Pearl of Great Price" and other scriptures. They put me right to sleep. I'm sure it's because they talk about the peace of the Gospel :). I watched/listened to the story of Cain and Abel and picked up some interesting insights. So, I'm borrowing some ideas from the group discussing Moses 5.

These are some of the main pillars the gospel is founded upon. So far we've been through the Plan of Salvation, the Sacrifice of the Savior, the Creation, the Fall, beginning earth life, and now sacrifice and obedience and opposition.

Adams has already shown that he is obedient, though I don't think it was blink obedience. I think Adam had learned enough already from God, that he knew that whatever was commanded of him was necessary and right. He did it, he didn't know exactly why, but the Lord commanded him, so he did it. This is a way for Adam to say that he has spiritual eyes, that he can give/destroy the best of the earth and expect a better life from what God will give him because he has faith that will happen.

Now for Cain and Abel's sacrifice. We are told in v 18 that Cain loved Satan more than God. It doesn't say that Cain didn't love God, but that he loved Satan more than God. (I wonder how that plays out in our lives: we love God, we know going to church is right, we know serving other people is right, but maybe our actions show that we love something else more). Satan uses what love or teachings Cain has of God and tell Cain to make an offering to the Lord (because that's the right thing to do, right?). So, Cain does that, but then chooses to make an offering of fruit rather than the commanded offering of the firstlings of the flock. The panel on the BYU show suggest that this is a willful misuse of the Priesthood that Cain was taught and was given. Cain knew he was offering the wrong thing, in a spirit of defiance. So, Cain's motive was false, but he also got it wrong when the symbolism was false as well. True sacrifice at that time was a sacrifice with the shedding of blood, symbolizing the sacrifice of the Savior. Fruit is nowhere near that. Then Cain was very wroth. I can just hear him rant: "You said to sacrifice, well, I did, aren't my ideas good enough?" Pride.

The Lord addresses him (v23) and gives him a chance to "choose the right" even after his deliberate defiance (2 Ne 28:32 I will be merciful unto them, saith the Lord God, if they will repent and come unto me; for mine arm is lengthened out all the day long, saith the Lord God of Hosts). Cain "rejected the greater counsel which was had from God" (v25). He was cursed (note this is a curse that happened before he killed Abel) that he will be delivered up to rule over Satan, be the father of his lies, he will be called Perdition. Joseph Smith taught that all beings who have bodies have power over those who do not. Cain has a body. His willful sin and unwillingness to repent of it amounts to a curse that he will rule over Satan.

Interesting stuff. I think I'll do a new post of the aftermath.

1 comment:

  1. Did I tell you Riley and I have to skip Sunday School because we were asked to be in a "Strengthening Marriage" class. The way it is strengthening our marriage is that we go home and laugh about it. Last week we were given a piece of linoleum so we could practice "giving our spouse the floor." We had to practice in class. Riley spoke up and said it takes too long for us to hand the floor back and forth. Since we've been married so long we finish each other's sentences. So we both held a corner of the floor and just talked. Then we went home and laughed. I miss Sunday School.

    ReplyDelete