What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Building good things amid trials

Readings:
  1. a. 
  2. b. 
    Our Heritage, pages 51–5255–5861–62.
The readings above are during the time when the Prophet Joseph Smith was in Liberty Jail and could not physically help the saints with the persecution they were experiencing. But they did receive direction to move to Illinois, where they could establish a city of their own.  Brigham Young, the President of the Quorum of the Twelve and other leaders helped many Saints relocate.  It certainly wasn't easy, but some felt it was preferable to the persecution they were receiving from people around them.  Amid all the moving, walking, sickness, rebuilding and reestablishing, the Saints were directed by the Lord revealed some great organizations and measures of support and relief.

Once there was some establishment in Nauvoo, the Lord started asking men to go to other areas of the land and even across the ocean to spread His gospel.  Many men heeded the call because they loved the Lord, the gospel and felt the urge to help other people understand the love and peace they did.  They did so even though they had families and very little finances and resources, with the faith that the Lord would provide for their needs.  He did.  These men did not leave without promises of comfort and peace:

DC 124:12-14

12 And again, verily I say unto you, let my servant Robert B. Thompson help you to write this proclamation, for I am well pleased with him, and that he should be with you;
 13 Let him, therefore, hearken to your counsel, and I will bless him with a multiplicity of blessings; let him be faithful and true in all things from henceforth, and he shall be great in mine eyes;
 14 But let him remember that his stewardship will I require at his hands.

DC 124: 16-17

16 Again, let my servant John C. Bennett help you in your labor in sending my word to the kings and people of the earth, and stand by you, even you my servant Joseph Smith, in the hour of affliction; and his reward shall not fail if he receive counsel.
 17 And for his love he shall be great, for he shall be mine if he do this, saith the Lord. I have seen the work which he hath done, which I accept if he continue, and will crown him with blessings and great glory.

DC 124:18-19

 18 And again, I say unto you that it is my will that my servant Lyman Wight should continue in preaching for Zion, in the spirit of meekness, confessing me before the world; and I will bear him up as on eagles’ wings; and he shall beget glory and honor to himself and unto my name.
 19 That when he shall finish his work I may receive him unto myself, even as I did my servant David Patten, who is with me at this time, and also my servant Edward Partridge, and also my aged servant Joseph Smith, Sen., who sitteth with Abraham at his right hand, and blessed and holy is he, for he is mine.

DC 124:103-104

103 And again, verily I say unto you, if my servant Sidney will serve me and be counselor unto my servant Joseph, let him arise and come up and stand in the office of his calling, and humble himself before me.
 104 And if he will offer unto me an acceptable offering, and acknowledgments, and remain with my people, behold, I, the Lord your God, will heal him that he shall be healed; and he shall lift up his voice again on the mountains, and be a spokesman before my face.
These blessing were contingent upon their faithfulness.  While they were faithful, they were blessed.  But some of them apostatized from the church and did not endure their trials with faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and therefore forfeited their promised blessings.

Another great thing that came out of the trials of moving from Missouri and established the city of Nauvoo is the the organization of women saints into a Relief Society.  While the temple in Nauvoo was being built a woman named Sarah Granger Kimball decided to donate cloth to make shirts for the men working on the temple.  A woman she hired, Margaret Cooke helped with making the shirts.  This cause soon caught on throughout many of the local women and a society was created, with Eliza R. Snow writing a constitution and bylaws for the group.  When asked to sign the bylaws and constitution, the Prophet Joseph Smith said it was the best constitution he had seen, but felt directed to have the women enlarge their vision.  Soon after they were organized as Nauvoo Female Relief Society, with Emma Smith (the prophet's wife) as the first president.

Joseph told the sisters that they would receive “instruction through the order which God has established through the medium of those appointed to lead—and I now turn the key to you in the name of God and this Society shall rejoice and knowledge and intelligence shall flow down from this time—this is the beginning of better days to this Society.”9
Soon after the society came into existence, a committee visited all of Nauvoo’s poor, assessed their needs, and solicited donations to help them. Cash donations and proceeds from the sale of food and bedding provided schooling for needy children. Flax, wool, yarn, shingles, soap, candles, tinware, jewelry, baskets, quilts, blankets, onions, apples, flour, bread, crackers, and meat were donated to help those in need.
Besides helping the poor, Relief Society sisters worshiped together. Eliza R. Snow reported that in one meeting “nearly all present arose and spoke, and the spirit of the Lord like a purifying stream, refreshed every heart.”10 These sisters prayed for each other, strengthened each other’s faith, and consecrated their lives and resources to help further the cause of Zion.


The Relief Society is one of the largest women's organizations in the world today and continues to help others in need, both local communities and world wide.  A declaration of the purposes of Relief Society was given in 1999 by then President, Mary Ellen Smoot:

“We are beloved spirit daughters of God, and our lives have meaning, purpose, and direction. As a worldwide sisterhood, we are united in our devotion to Jesus Christ, our Savior and Exemplar. We are women of faith, virtue, vision, and charity who:
“Increase our testimonies of Jesus Christ through prayer and scripture study.
“Seek spiritual strength by following the promptings of the Holy Ghost.
“Dedicate ourselves to strengthening marriages, families, and homes.
“Find nobility in motherhood and joy in womanhood.
“Delight in service and good works.
“Love life and learning.
“Stand for truth and righteousness.
“Sustain the priesthood as the authority of God on earth.
“Rejoice in the blessings of the temple, understand our divine destiny, and strive for exaltation” (Mary Ellen Smoot, “Rejoice, Daughters of Zion,” Ensign, Nov. 1999, 92–93).
The Relief Society work in concert with men who hold the Priesthood of God to help bless those in need of spiritual and physical help.  These people are not educated professionals in social work or counseling, but are people who want to be kind as Jesus was kind, love as Jesus loved and strengthen and Jesus strengthened.  They are not perfect, we are not perfect, but we can help each other, even in our imperfections because the Lord will consecrate our efforts. I am a part of this great society of sisters and am so glad there is organization in efforts to care for those around me and when it comes my turn to be cared for I know other sisters will help me.  That's a relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment