What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Sunday, May 5, 2013

What makes the world go 'round - spiritual gifts

Readings:  
 

I used to read the lists of spiritual gifts as a list of possibilities.  It is still that I suppose, as we are counseled to seek the best gifts and to pray for spiritual gifts.  But recently I've read this information as a reminder that everyone has something to contribute.  There aren't very many people who have ALL of the spiritual gifts (except the head of the church, as designated in v 29) listed in Corinthians, Moroni and the Doctrine and Covenants.  I started thinking of the gifts this way because of the heading to section 46:

Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet to the Church, at Kirtland, Ohio, March 8, 1831. In this early time of the Church, a unified pattern for the conducting of Church services had not yet developed. However, a custom of admitting only members and earnest investigators to the sacrament meetings and other assemblies of the Church had become somewhat general. This revelation expresses the will of the Lord relative to governing and conducting meetings and His direction on seeking and discerning the gifts of the Spirit.

There seemed to be an issue where the saints were only letting certain people into church services.  The Lord makes it clear in verse 3:


 3 Nevertheless ye are commanded never to cast any one out from your public meetings, which are held before the world.

He repeats this again in verse 5.  You do have to be careful and eventually discern real intent (IF it is your calling to discern) by using the gifts of the Spirit. The Spirit will help you with real intent to know who the true followers of Christ are:

 8 Wherefore, beware lest ye are deceived; and that ye may not be deceived seek ye earnestly the best gifts, always remembering for what they are given;
 9 For verily I say unto you, they are given for the benefit of those who love me and keep all my commandments, and him that seeketh so to do; that all may be benefited that seek or that ask of me, that ask and not for a sign that they may consume it upon their lusts.
 10 And again, verily I say unto you, I would that ye should always remember, and always retain in your minds what those gifts are, that are given unto the church.

But then He goes on to say that not all people have all gifts.  Some have one, some have many, but all work together (v 12):

12 To some is given one, and to some is given another, that all may be profited thereby.

So far, the purpose of gifts is to help discern and not be deceived, and also that all may benefit from one another.


Then we are to give thanks for whatever gift we have, be it one or many.  So the trick here is to be grateful that you have a gift AND to be grateful that you friend or neighbor or enemy has a gift, or many, and understand that if we work together, we will all benefit.  It is fitting then, that spiritual gifts are discussed in the section where the Saints are told to accept any who are, or may be willing, to follow Christ into their church service.  Because maybe that person has something you need to help you in your progression.

I really love how Paul put it in 1 Corinthians, while trying to help the people understand that both Jew and Gentile can and should work together in the cause of Christ:
12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
 20 But now are they many members, yet but one body.
 21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.
 22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:
 23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness.
 24 For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked:
 25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.
 26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.
 27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

We all have different gifts, and some of the same gifts.  And that's what makes the world go 'round.

No comments:

Post a Comment