What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Many aspects of "gathering"


"Gathering" is in important theme in the infancy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints because it's basically the purpose of it's restoration: to gather people to Christ with the proper ordinances and covenants.  Here are a few of the verses regarding gathering from the reading:

29:7-8
 7 And ye are called to bring to pass the gathering of mine elect; for mine elect hear my voice and harden not their hearts;
 8 Wherefore the decree hath gone forth from the Father that they shall be gathered in unto one place upon the face of this land, to prepare their hearts and be prepared in all things against the day when tribulation and desolation are sent forth upon the wicked. 
33:3, 6-7
 3 For behold, the field is white already to harvest; and it is the eleventh hour, and the last time that I shall call laborers into my vineyard.
 6 And even so will I gather mine elect from the four quarters of the earth, even as many as will believe in me, and hearken unto my voice.
 7 Yea, verily, verily, I say unto you, that the field is white already to harvest; wherefore, thrust in your sickles, and reap with all your might, mind, and strength.
110:11
11 After this vision closed, the heavens were again opened unto us; and Moses appeared before us, and committed unto us the keys of the gathering of Israel from the four parts of the earth, and the leading of the ten tribes from the land of the north.
From all these verses we understand that the general gathering of the House of Israel (all tribes is to commence by preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ and that this is a major purpose of this newly organized church.

When I read the other verses in the readings I was reminded that "gathering" meant two different things that are generally recognized in the church and I wondered if there was possible a third meaning.

In 38:24-41; 52:2-5, 42-43; 57:1-3, the Lord tells the Saints that, because of persecution and the development of the church, they needed to relocate to Ohio and then to Missouri.  In this sense, the gathering of the people is to gather where ever is necessary for protection, safety, building and togetherness.  We are told that gathering to Zion is gathering as a church to Christ and also gathering in our own stakes or congregations for strength. I have also heard that Zion can be wherever you are as long as you are living the principles of the gospel.

But I had a more individual thought, or rather a more active thought regarding the frequency of gathering and it began with this scripture, which I absolutely love:

29:1-2
1 Listen to the voice of Jesus Christ, your Redeemer, the Great I Am, whose arm of mercy hath atoned for your sins;
 2 Who will gather his people even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, even as many as will hearken to my voice and humble themselves before me, and call upon me in mighty prayer.
or in Matt 23:37
37  O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
The word "often" in Matthew is what really gets me thinking about the Savior gathering me to Him.  I wonder that if every time I feel the spirit, or feel direction from Him, or comfort, or even a little chiding, if He is gathering me to him and covering me with his wing, just like a hen would to her chick.  This is an incredibly tender thought for me and one that will hopefully prompt me to humility and repentance, so that I am one of those that will "hearken to my voice and humble" myself, because I think I could bear the injustice, fear, cruelty and hardship in this world a lot better from under the protective wing of my Savior.


No comments:

Post a Comment