What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Sunday, January 6, 2013

What the Doctrine and Covenants represents

Reading: DC Introduction, DC Sec 1

Things to know about The Doctrine and Covenants:

It is divided in to sections, each section (usually) a separate revelation given for a separate issue, or directed to a certain person. Concerning the revelations, the introduction says:
"These sacred revelations were received in answer to prayer, in times of need, and came out of real-life situations involving real people. The Prophet and his associates sought for divine guidance, and these revelations certify that they received it."
Which makes the Doctrine and Covenants a different book of scripture than any other:
"The Doctrine and Covenants is unique because it is not a translation of an ancient document, but is of modern origin and was given of God through his chosen prophets for the restoration of his holy work and the establishment of the kingdom of God on the earth in these days."
Also:
The Prophet Joseph wrote, “In these infant days of the Church, there was a great anxiety to obtain the word of the Lord upon every subject that in any way concerned our salvation” (History of the Church, 1:207). 
It is significant the the title of the book contains the word "covenants" as the other books of scripture read within The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints contain the word "Testament" which is synonymous with the word "covenant" (The Old Testament, The New Testament, The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ).  In fact, President Wilford Woodruf said this regarding the book:
"I consider that The Doctrine and Covenants, our testament, contains a code of the most solemn, most God-like proclamations ever made to the human family."
President Joseph F. Smith said:
“But this Doctrine and Covenants contains the word of God to those who dwell here now. It is our book. It belongs to the Latter-day Saints. More precious than gold, the Prophet says we should treasure it more than the riches of the whole earth. I wonder if we do? If we value it, understand it, and know what it contains, we will value it more than wealth; it is worth more to us than the riches of the earth.” (Doctrines of Salvation, 3:198–99.)
I feel like I have not appreciated it enough for what it is and why it was written.  I look forward to giving it the attention and respect it deserves and is required throughout this year.

To me, The Doctrine and Covenants stands as a witness for what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is: a  "true and living church." All sections really are revelations from God, testifying to people that God really does know and care and speak to people of all time, not just to prophets of old.  In fact, that statement, "true and living church," comes from section 1:30
 30 And also those to whom these commandments were given, might have power to lay the foundation of this church, and to bring it forth out of obscurity and out of darkness, the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth, with which I, the Lord, am well pleased, speaking unto the church collectively and not individually—
It is a living church because it is constantly receiving revelation from God through those who have the authority to receive such revelations.  The Doctrine and Covenants is a great example of this. Section 1 is the preface that the Lord himself gave to Joseph Smith, specifically as an explanation of revelation and a warning to the world. The beginning verses in section one might seem a little harsh from the Lord, but the Introduction explains that the words of the Lord in this book are "tender but firm."  So, I like to read section one as just that, not like he's yelling at us, but that He really wants us to "Hearken" because the things within this book will show us how to return to Him, which is just what He and hopefully we want.

This is a great synopsis of the purpose of The Doctrine and Covenants (of course it's great, it's from the Lord!), in section 1:

 19 The weak things of the world shall come forth and break down the mighty and strong ones, that man should not counsel his fellow man, neither trust in the arm of flesh—
 20 But that every man might speak in the name of God the Lord, even the Savior of the world;
 21 That faith also might increase in the earth;
 22 That mine everlasting covenant might be established;
 23 That the fulness of my gospel might be proclaimed by the weak and the simple unto the ends of the world, and before kings and rulers.
 24 Behold, I am God and have spoken it; these commandments are of me, and were given unto my servants in their weakness, after the manner of their language, that they might come to understanding.
 25 And inasmuch as they erred it might be made known;
 26 And inasmuch as they sought wisdom they might be instructed;
 27 And inasmuch as they sinned they might be chastened, that they might repent;
 28 And inasmuch as they were humble they might be made strong, and blessed from on high, and receive knowledge from time to time.
and
 37 Search these commandments, for they are true and faithful, and the prophecies and promises which are in them shall all be fulfilled.
 38 What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same.
 39 For behold, and lo, the Lord is God, and the Spirit beareth record, and the record is true, and the truth abideth forever and ever. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment