What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Lesser and Greater Things

Reading: 3 Nephi 22-26

There are a few things that are always talked about in these chapters: 1) Jesus tells the Nephites (and us) that we are to search the words of Isaiah - good counsel, 2) Jesus reminds Nephi that some of Samuel's (a prior prophet) prophecies were not written down and he commands them to write them (many lessons on journaling), and 3) the peace that the people begin to experience because of Jesus' visit.  All great topics.

I am always curious though about why Jesus quotes the prophets Isaiah and Malachi.  In fact the quotations from Malachi are in all four of the standard works (books of scripture) used by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  They must be pretty important.  These quotations are about the gathering of Israel, paying tithing, Elijah returning before the second coming of the Lord and more.  Why do we need to know all this stuff?

First off, we are told that we don't have ALL the information (3 Ne 26:8-11):


8 And these things have I written, which are a lesser part of the things which he taught the people; and I have written them to the intent that they may be brought again unto this people, from the Gentiles, according to the words which Jesus hath spoken.
 9 And when they shall have received this, which is expedient that they should have first, to try their faith, and if it shall so be that they shall believe these things then shall the greater things be made manifest unto them.
 10 And if it so be that they will not believe these things, then shall the greater things be withheld from them, unto their condemnation.
 11 Behold, I was about to write them, all which were engraven upon the plates of Nephi, but the Lord forbade it, saying: I will try the faith of my people.
We don't have all the information because the Lord wanted to try our faith.  Not knowing the answers to everything, but still persisting in belief is a trial, to me anyway.  I think it is especially a trial right now because the demand to know everything is very high.  We want to know everything about a scandal, everything about disasters that happen, everything in politics, we want answers for behaviors, answers for health issues and it's frustrating to not get the answers!  But will you believe anyway?  Will you believe that there is a promise to know everything?  If we can believe the "lesser things" then the "greater things" will be made manifest.  Can we be satisfied with not knowing everything?  I hope so.  Here are some of the lesser things taught in the chapters the Savior quotes:

Tithing:  Can we live the law of tithing?
"Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say: Wherein have we robbed thee?  In tithes and offerings." 3 Nephi 24:8-12


Sealing by the power of the priesthood of the Son of God: Can we be obedient enough to be worthy of a temple sealing (wether you have the option or not to have a spouse, are you worthy of it?)
"Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord;
 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse." 3 Ne 25
Search the prophets: Can we search the scriptures daily and know what modern prophets have told us and do we follow their teachings?
"And now, behold, I say unto you, that ye ought to search these things. Yea, a commandment I give unto you that ye search these things diligently; for great are the words of Isaiah." 3 Ne 23:1-5
He mentions many more things we can do, but these three things and others in the books of scripture He says are "lesser things" compared to what we can know.  So if we cannot do these lesser things, there may be some adjustments to be made.  I think he tells us these things because accompanying this information is information about judgment and the second coming.  So, if we had any questions on how to prepare for that great event, we now know what lesser things we need to do in order to prepare for greater things.  And I'm going to take a guess that when the Lord says "greater" it's greater than we can comprehend. We have nothing bad to lose by trying to live these principles.

No comments:

Post a Comment