What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Small things and self-control

I'm just discovering that I didn't post on last week's reading! Here's are some quick comments:

Reading: Alma 36-39

These chapters are addressed to Alma's sons, Helaman, Shiblon and Coriantum.  The latter two are missionaries at this time.  Alma tells Helaman about his conversion, which we discussed in the Mosiah chapters and also counsels him to keep a good record of the dealings of his people, reminding him that doing so may seem like a small thing, but such a small act can make a great difference (v. 6-7):


 6 Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.

 7 And the Lord God doth work by means to bring about his great and eternal purposes; and by very small means the Lord doth confound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls.

These vereses are humbling verses for me and always remind me that the seemingly small things that I do are important.  This is an especially helpful thing to remember in a world that glamorizes all the BIG things that happen or even glamorizes little things.  This scripture says to me: your little things are important and really the only person who needs to know is God.

Chapter 39 is addressed to Corianton, who while serving as a missionary, fell prey to the teachings of the anti-Christ's: 1) that this life is the only life, so when you die that's the end, so live it up now, and also 2) there is no Christ, so there must be no Savior from sin, so there must be no sin and no moral code to live by or offend.  So Corianton commited moral and spiritual sins.  Alma, whose father once implored him to repent, now find him in the same position, asking his son to repent and change.  I particularly like the word he uses to teach Corianton to stop his sinful behavior: "cross yourself:"

 9 Now my son, I would that ye should repent and forsake your sins, and go no more after the lusts of your eyes, but cross yourself in all these things; for except ye do this ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God. Oh, remember, and take it upon you, and cross yourself in these things.

The footnote to the first "cross yourself" is a reference to the Topical Guide for "self-mastery."  In other words, have some self control.  I think self-mastery is the quest of life, as we are to overcome the "natural man" or our human tendencies to be stubborn, lazy, selfish and other behaviors of self-interest.

The next few three chapters are spent explaining to Corianton how and why to turn to Christ for help, because as verse 17 indicates, every soul is precious and needs to be clean in order to see God again.  If we follow His plan, we will be clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment