What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Priestcraft vs. Priesthood

Reading: Mosiah 29; Alma 1-4

I'm back from vacation and other time-consuming assignments and I've got some make-up to do.  So here I go.

I have been interested, during this read through of The Book of Mormon, in a man named Nehor, mentioned beginning in Alma 1.  After King Mosiah died and there was a new government set up - rule by judges - Nehor decided that he didn't like what was taught by the church at the time.  The teachings that King Benjamin and Mosiah taught.  The teachings that brought years of peace.  He decided that he didn't like that kind of peace apparently and wanted to redefine both religion and government.  Here's a bit of what he thought was a good idea:

Alma 1:3-4

 3 And he had gone about among the people, preaching to them that which he termed to be the word of God, bearing down against the church; declaring unto the people that every priest and teacher ought to become popular; and they ought not to labor with their hands, but that they ought to be supported by the people.

 4 And he also testified unto the people that all mankind should be saved at the last day, and that they need not fear nor tremble, but that they might lift up their heads and rejoice; for the Lord had created all men, and had also redeemed all men; and, in the end, all men should have eternal life.

And what's wrong with that?

Authority, that's what.  Nehor's ideas were priestcraft.  Here's a good definition of priestcraft (2 Ne 26:29):

He commandeth that there shall be no priestcrafts; for, behold, priestcrafts are that men preach and set themselves up for a light unto the world, that they may get gain and praise of the world; but they seek not the welfare of Zion.

So, essentially, priestcraft is promoting your own ideas about religion proclaiming that the ideas are from God, but really doing it to receive praise/recognition yourself.  This is a careful thing to watch in our own lives.  Many of us won't proclaim our way of thinking to others, but we yearn for the praise of our own ideas.  But I won't talk about priestcraft in this way, I'll talk about it more generally.

Conversely, here is a definition of priesthood:
John 15:16   (Jesus speaking to his apostles) Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

Doctrine and Covenants 84:21   And without the ordinances thereof, and the authority of the priesthood, the power of godliness is not manifest unto men in the flesh;

Pearl of Great Price; Joseph Smith History 1:68-69

68 We still continued the work of translation, when, in the ensuing month (May, 1829), we on a certain day went into the woods to pray and inquire of the Lord respecting baptism for the remission of sins, that we found mentioned in the translation of the plates. While we were thus employed, praying and calling upon the Lord, a messenger from heaven descended in a cloud of light, and having laid his hands upon us, he ordained us, saying:

 69 Upon you my fellow servants, in the name of Messiah, I confer the Priesthood of Aaron, which holds the keys of the ministering of angels, and of the gospel of repentance, and of baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; and this shall never be taken again from the earth until the sons of Levi do offer again an offering unto the Lord in righteousness.


The above scriptures indicate that authority must come directly from The Lord, Jesus Christ, God's Son, as it is His priesthood to give.

This begs the question: How can one tell the difference between someone who has been given the proper authority to preach and organize, and someone who claims he has been give the proper authority?

First there are some indications.  Here are some indications that Nehor gave:
Alma 1:6  And he began to be lifted up in the pride of his heart, and to wear very costly apparel, yea, and even began to establish a church after the manner of his preaching.

In addition to this, Nehor ended up murdering a man named Gideon just because Gideon withstood and combatted Nehor's ideas with the ideas of God.  Nehor was put to death for this, but the priestcraft introduced by him was spread and grew so much, that missionaries in the next several years fought hard to help the people understand true priesthood leadership.

Besides the indications of selfish and prideful religious (or other group) leaders, the best way to tell if someone has true authority is to ask God. . . and really listen for the answer and study about what a true priesthood leader is.  Even the scriptures about priesthood that I listed above need to be prayed about.  Particularly the one about Joseph Smith reporting that an angelic messenger (later mentioned as John the Baptist) came to give him the Aaronic priesthood, which is the authority to administer the gospel of repentance and baptism.  Later he received the authority to confer the Gift of the Holy Ghost and the authority to organize the Lord's church, with all components of the gospel when Jesus Christ was on the earth, including apostles, prophets, temple worship and more.

Outlandish you say? Impossible you say?

Ask God. He would know.

I have. I believe The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has the proper authority. . . from God.  Does this mean I believe that all other churches are totally wrong and are engaged in priestcraft? No. There are many good churches doing many good things and teaching many good things.  But it comes down to the question of authority from God.  When I have asked God about the church and as I serve in the church and study the doctrines of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ I receive feelings confirming that I'm on the right track.



No comments:

Post a Comment