What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Continuing Revelation

Reading: 2 Ne 26-30

Again, there is so much in these chapters, it is hard to figure out which to talk about in a setting like this.  It's really best if you read and ponder it yourself, but I'll mention a few things regarding continuing revelation.

Let me just begin with this: I know there is a God. I know He reveals his will to people who will listen.  He reveals His will to us as individuals and he reveals his will to groups of people, specifically a church organization.  I believe that God directed Jesus Christ to set up the organization of a church when he was on the earth with a prophet (Peter) and 12 apostles and others who had the authority to teach, preach and baptize.  I believe The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is organized by God with the same things: a prophet and 12 apostles.  I believe God gives authority to these men and communicates with them to organize and direct the people in general and to teach the people to seek out their own communication with God.

I also believe that people who do not belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints receive their own revelations from God.  But it is the LDS Church that has the authority to organize the church as was organized when Christ was on the earth and those with authority continually receive direction and guidance regarding it's maintenance.  That authority also allows for proper baptism, administration of the bread and water and other ordinances that help us along our path in life.  With that authority and revelation comes the assurance that God really is "the same yesterday, today and forever."

One of the indications of continuing revelation is the coming forth of The Book of Mormon.  There are many who would say that The Bible is the last and final word of God.  In fact, The Book of Mormon predicts that:

And because my words shall hiss forth—many of the Gentilesshall say: aBibleBible! We have got Bible, and there cannotbe any more Bible.


To which the Lord responds:

Thou fool, that shall say: aBiblewe have got Bible, and weneed no more Bible. Have ye obtained Bible save it were by theJews?
 Know ye not that there are more anations than one? Know yenot that I, the Lord your God, have created all men, and that Iremember those who are upon the bisles of the sea; and that Irule in the heavens above and in the cearth beneath; and bringforth my dword unto the children of men, yea, even upon all thenations of the earth?
 Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more ofmy word? Know ye not that the atestimony of btwo nations is acwitness unto you that am God, that remember one dnationlike unto another? Wherefore, speak the same words unto onenation like unto another. And when the two enations shall runtogether the testimony of the two nations shall run together also.
 And do this that may prove unto many that am the asameyesterday, today, and forever; and that speak forth my bwordsaccording to mine own pleasure. And because that have spokenone cword ye need not suppose that cannot speak another; formy dwork is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end ofman, neither from that time henceforth and forever.
 10 Wherefore, because that ye have Bible ye need not supposethat it contains all my awordsneither bneed ye suppose that Ihave not caused more to be written.

Essentially, To say that God cannot give more information to us beyond the Bible is to confess that you don't know God, or at least don't believe that He can do all things. ("For with God all things are possible. - Mark 10:27)

I have studied the Old Testament, the New Testament, The Book of Mormon, other LDS scriptures including the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price.  They do not teach different doctrine.  They all teach the word of God.  What's even better is that they teach it from different perspectives to help us have a better perspective about ourselves.

If you want to know yourself, come to know God.  If you want to come to know God, read what He's given us. If you want to know what He's given us, ask Him.  You can receive revelation too.


Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how amerciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and bponder it in yourchearts.
 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would aask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not btrue; and if ye shall ask with a csincere heart, with dreal intent, having efaith in Christ, he will fmanifest thegtruth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may aknow the btruth of all things.

This post turned out quite different than what I planned or taught today in Sunday School. But it's all good! Perhaps I will post later some highlighted scriptures from the reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment