What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Samson, Samson, Samson

I thought I had posted on Samson the week I taught that lesson, but apparently I didn't. Here are belated thoughts on Samson:

I will be honest, the story of Samson frustrated me. I had such a hard time figuring out what to teach in this lesson. It seems pretty straight forward, but it really didn't make spiritual sense to me. Here's why: The Lord blessed Samson with great physical strength and was foretold to deliver Israel from their oppressors. His mother dedicated him to the Lord as a Nazarite, with specific covenants and laws to keep to show his dedication (cannot cut hair, cannot drink strong drinks, and cannot be around dead bodies). Samson grew with great strength, spiritually and physically. But then Samson made a choice to break a covenant with the Lord. He married outside of his tribe/faith.

But even though he did this, the scriptures tell us that the Lord was still with Samson and he was able to perform great feats of strength. In fact, every time Samson showed physical strength, it says "and the Lord was with him." In between each strength, Samson did something else that violated covenants or law, yet the Lord was still with him. This does not make any sense to me. The only way this makes sense is that Samson had a purpose to fulfill and the Lord allowed him to maintain his strength until His will was fulfilled. After pondering this and feeling pressure to figure out how to present a lesson that just didn't make sense, here's what makes sense to me:

Samson is an antithetical type of Christ:

Both births were announced by angel

Both given a purpose of deliverance – both spiritual and physical

Both grew up dedicated to God

But when given the chance to keep his covenants and covenants of Israel, Samson chose differently:

Samson killed, Christ helped live

Samson focused on self, Chirst focues outward

Samson gave in the temptation, Christ did not

Samson set aside covenants, Christ live the covenant even though he was to fulfill it

Samson’s motives were revenge, branching from pride (shouldn’t be treated this way)

Christ’s motive were love, even for those who did wrong to him.

It seems to me that Samson's purpose is: To show the world that you can’t deliver a people only physically (Samson), it must be spiritually as well (Christ).

No comments:

Post a Comment