What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Monday, May 10, 2010

Make up post: Bondage, Exodus and Passover

I am fascinated with the Children of Israel. I think I am fascinated with them because they always seems to miss the obvious. But that's not really being fair to them because I can read about their experiences and predicament in one day, whereas they had to live through every moment. Another reason they are a fascinating people is they are whiners like we are. Yup, we are whiners.

  • The Egyptians hold the Israelites in bondage. We are held in bondage (whether by our own actions or the actions of others).
  • The Israelites accept their bondage, get comfortable, but still look forward to being released from bondage as per prophecy. We sometimes get comfortable with our bondage/lot in life, but have a great hope that someday we will be free or that there will be a change.
  • They are told that they will be freed so they stop fulfilling their responsibilities. We assume things will happen that fast too and do not continue with our responsibilities.
  • They are punished with more and harder work. So are we, which may make us want to give up even more.
  • They are obedient to what Moses tells them to do in order to escape. Their hearts are in it at the time, but not for the long haul. Ditto for us at times.
  • They are given the Passover, the great symbol of the Savior's sacrifice and help for the obedient, which will happen in the future, are asked to believe and act. We are given the doctrine of the Savior's sacrifice which happened in the past and are asked to believe and act.
  • They are told to teach their children about the Passover - in word and deed. We are told to teach our children about the Savior - in word and deed.
  • Israelites are the recipient of many miracles and are made aware of the author of such miracles. We too are the recipient of many miracles, and are made aware through some channels, if we listen, but since many of our miracles are more individualized (at least that we know of, in comparison) we have a great responsibility to acknowledge where the miracles come from. I suppose they did too.
  • The Israelites had these momentous experiences to teach them and give them hope and inspire them. We have these experiences too. But like the Israelites, sometimes we live in that momentous moment but we do not let them change us. We deny the very purpose of that experience by marking it in our journals, telling other people about it, but then go back to our habits and comforts of knowing where we were yesterday. We whine that we either have to change (requiring work) or that we must do something (work) or that it's not what we want, it's not how we pictured life to be.
Well, quit whining and change! Here's my favorite quote from Elder Holland about whining: "No misfortune is so bad that whining about it won't make it worse." Ensign, May 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment