What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Every footstep

We went on a hike yesterday. It was not a very difficult hike, but one of my boys tends to complain about hiking, especially if it was not his idea. So, we listened to complaining most of the way. At one point I said, "how would you have walked across the plains if you were a pioneer walking to the Salt Lake Valley." He said, "it would hurt a lot." Then we talked about finding treasures at the end of our journeys and trying to enjoy the journey along the way. The concept didn't sind in. Not yet anyway.

The phrase "faith in every footstep" is rather descriptive of how the pioneers operated. They literally must have had to think of the Savior and their plan in every footstep they took.

If there were joyful, they thought of the Savior:
28 If thou art merry, praise the Lord with singing, with music, with dancing, and with a prayer of praise and thanksgiving.

If they were having a tough time they were to think of the Lord:
29 If thou art sorrowful, call on the Lord thy God with supplication, that your souls may be joyful.

To say that we should be the same way, is easier said than done. I'm sure the pioneer Saints had a hard time staying focused, but then their whole goal was to be a religious group that would not be bothered by others. Their purpose was religion. What is our purpose? Our religion is already well established and far-reaching. Is it harder for us to keep our religion as a focal point because developing a religion is not our focus? Maintaining our religion though can take just as much "faith in every footstep" because it takes constant self-monitoring and motivation. Maybe the different between the early Saints and us is their purpose was given to them as a body of saints, where our purpose is given to us too, but there are so many other diversions, distractions and paths to put our footsteps on, that our purpose are more individualized? Maybe. Whatever path or purpose this passage applies to all:
31 My people must be tried in all things, that they may be prepared to receive the glory that I have for them, even the glory of Zion; and he that will not bear chastisement is not worthy of my kingdom.
32 Let him that is ignorant learn wisdom by humbling himself and calling upon the Lord his God, that his eyes may be opened that he may see, and his ears opened that he may hear;
33 For my Spirit is sent forth into the world to enlighten the humble and contrite, and to the condemnation of the ungodly.

No comments:

Post a Comment