What is this blog?

In 2008 I stumbled upon a blog organized by a woman who wanted to read The Bible each day through the year and then comment and receive comments about the reading assignment. I decided to join and I really enjoyed the experience of discussing the passages. I wanted to continue that. I thought I would start a blog that follows the LDS Sunday School lessons, not in any way replacing them, but just to offer a venue to comment on the readings for those who don't like to/get to comment in class or don't get to go to class at all, or just anybody. 2009 was my first full year with this blog, reading the Doctrine and Covenants (all archived in 2009). 2010 I did my best to discuss the Old Testament but fell off in the fall. 2011 is a review of The New Testament, but I was even less successful in continuing with that year, but I hope to fill those in during the year! During 2012 we discuss The Book of Mormon. I will post at least once for the week's readings. I will not post on General Conference weeks and will probably be behind your current reading due to our church schedule, but hope you can still find relevancy. Also, I probably won't proofread much, so please forgive me for errors, I'll be lucky to just get a post each week in. Feel free to comment on my current week or your class' current week. Enjoy! I do!

Friday, July 24, 2009

Looking for justice

I really love this section of the Doctrine and Covenants. I love that the prophets gets to the point where he just really wants Heavenly Father to miraculously take him from his afflictions, because we all get to that point I think. We just want it all to go away sometimes. I wonder if the prophet was thinking of the time Alma and Amulek were in prison and it miraculously tumbled to the ground. Sometimes Heavenly Father does take it all away. But most of the time we get this response:

7 My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
8 And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.
9 Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands.

It may not be the easy response that we want (poof your troubles are gone!), but it is a response. From The God of all. That alone is a comfort. He is listening, He is aware, and all justice is in His hands, not ours.

Perspective of justice is one of the difficult issues during trial. We get all upset about how unfair things are: why me? why not her/him? why now? I don't deserve this. They don't deserve that. Blah, blah, blah. It is helpful to remember that:

24 Behold, mine eyes see and know all their works, and I have in reserve a swift judgment in the season thereof, for them all;
25 For there is a time appointed for every man, according as his works shall be.

We are not the ones to hand out justice or judgement. It will come, but not by our own definition or our own time table or what consequences we think are just. The point of our affliction is that they are ours. The are to develop who we are, not make us bitter about what other people are or are not. Because:

8 The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?

Not only should we not think that our suffering is greater that the Savior's, but only He is in the position to judge and give justice or true mercy. Of us it is required to forgive all men.

No comments:

Post a Comment